Another Shark Attack?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by LTL, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CancunScorpio: Supposedly the Cancun beach construction, but when I saw where the cave is located I thought the same as you.

Like I said... rumor :) haha

2. lignuslibri

lignuslibri Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was there

I have been at this beach in Cancun that day and saw how the shark attack took place. There definetly have not been any warnings from the life guards and the sharks were not noticed by anyone before the attack. Even after the girl began to scream minutes passed by before the life guard realized that she really needed help desperately. They even had to be pushed by the people to help her.
    And after there was evidence for a shark attack the needed about a half hour to evacuate the water.
    That was really poor performance.

3. Scoobie

Scoobie Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Would you care to share your 'ton of stuff'?

It's a shame you didn't share it a couple of months ago so that 'stupid' woman victim didn't have her arm ripped off and amputated after washing the sand off after playing beach volley ball.

4. David & Rhonda

David & Rhonda Regular Registered Member

Split time between Beaumont, Texas and Pineville,
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I hate someone had an incident with a shark... but it is an ocean (or gulf if you prefer). It is one of the wonderful things about the sea. It is wild and natural. I spend a lot of time in the woods and water. It's a calculated risk on whether I cross paths with rattle snakes, water moccasins, alligators or bears. I am in their element, not mine. I hope I never get shark bitten, but it won't be the sharks fault.. or the resorts.

5. Brendaf

Brendaf Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My dear friend Luibov (Luba) needs our help!!! She was bitten by a shark in cancun Mexico last Thursday and is now laying in the cancun hospital general. She is in desperate need of financial donations to pay for a surgery to save her leg. The media made it sound like she had just a small bite but infact it is 2 very large bites on the lower part of her calf. Luba is a 26 year old from Russia that was studying in mexico. She has... no medical insurance as she has been there for over 6 months. She is a very loving, caring, and kind person. She is so full of life. Her passions in life are swimming, running, biking, music, dancing and she is a champion skier so losing her leg would effect her life dramatically. I have never meet anyone more full of life then this beautiful women. The cost of the surgery is 200,000 pesos $17,000 Canadian so anything you can donate for my dear friend would be more than appreciated even $5 would help!!! If you could please talk to your family and friends and share this story maybe they could donate something as well. She has to have this surgery within the next 2 days so please help soon. Her name is Luibov (Luba) Teran she is in the Cancun hospital called the Hospital General or you can contact Jose in Playa at 984-133-2592. I am hoping that if we can get even a small donation that there will be enough caring people that we can make a difference in how this tradgedy turns out. God Bless all of You and may God protect you all. Thanks Brenda

6. Brendaf

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It was not a small 8 inch scratch like the life guard cliamed and I may not be an expert like some but it looks like it could be a shark bite to me. And if you check out the pics of Luba being taken from the water those sharks are closer to shore than I would expect them to be. And personally I can see someone not tell the whole truth when there job may be on the line.
    GRAPHIC PICS SORRY
    Nuevo ataque de tiburones en Cancún: sorprenden a turista rusa, (fotos-actualización)

Rusa perdería 2 dedos; pescadores de Playa del Carmen dispuestos a cazar tiburones para salvar turismo

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Clearly a horrific wound, as appears in the photos.

It's interesting that there continues to be a question whether it was the result of a shark attack: in the wound to the back of the calf there appears to be no flesh missing, implying a delicacy we don't normally attribute to sharks.

I would have thought that to have any chance of preserving the flesh, and function of the lower leg, it would have had to have been reattached immediately. In any case, this injury will have lasting consequences no matter what the doctors can or will do for her, now.

Can't help but feel sorry for anyone in that situation, but it is a good reminder of the risk those take who choose to "go bare," when it comes to health/travel insurance.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  8. Brendaf

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    She has been attending school for over 6 months in Cancun, and the problem with health insurance the longest we could find is 3 months.

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Brendaf: Can that be renewed or is it simply 3 months, regardless how long one stays here?

Sounds fairly crappy and strange.

I hope she gets better soon and that things will get sorted out.

(Im 100% covered by my Government(Sweden) - just found that out last week. Kind of SHOULD be, considering the taxes we pay back home, hehe ;))

10. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I remember from a few years back, my traveler's insurance only lasted a few months, but then I got insurance with my university (didn't ask for it, I think they just give it to all students).

Not sure where she's studying, but there might be some sort of student insurance.

Whatever happened, hope she gets better soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice