Another Shark Attack?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by LTL, Mar 25, 2011.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Scorpio,

I am not sure I know exactly what a professional swimmer is. Can you enlighten me please? Is it like a golfer or baseball player that competes individually or on a team, for compensation?

Thanks,

2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The beaches on the "calm" side are not nice, full of seaweed in and out of the water. I only go there when I don't feel like busing it any further down, but in my opinion, the beaches on the Caribe side are so beautiful to look at. And I am not sure where you are pulling the stormy and crappy beaches from Scorpio. The beach from Dreams all the way down to the Westin are clean, water clear and the sky is far from stormy.

3. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks. I get the picture. Good luck with it. My good friend Henry is training in Cancun for a Triathalon. Maybe you could add two more events to your life.

I couldn't even do an unoathalon. Jajaja.

4. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gotcha Scorpio!!! I don't ever venture into the water...maybe to my ankles to cool off. I grew up going to the nasty NJ beaches, and I don't like the unknown of what may be sucking on my toes.

5. Princess015690

Princess015690 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    so you mean to tell me.. if I go out to my waist.. the sharks are that close to the shore?

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That would be true Princess.

I have read reports that in the Atlantic Ocean in Florida, that bites have occured in knee deep water. It doesn't take a monster shark to do some serious (or minor) damage.

Not sure if they do this in Cancun but in Florida the pilots of the small planes pulling the advertising banners spot them, sometimes in huge schools, and radio the lifeguards who clear the beach. Now that I read my own words I doubt it happens that way in Cancun but it very well should and could.

7. SgtSamy

SgtSamy Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In my opinion, if you are not a diver or even a surfer, being attacked by shark is pretty stupid. Their a ton of stuff you can do not to attract shark.

8. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Like what Sarge? A sure fire way is NOT to go into the water.

Statistically, these are very rare in the big scheme of things. Two, only weeks apart, is very unusual and a bit of concern.

Especially since I am getting baptized in the Caribbean next Sunday, a couple of kms from the recent incident.

9. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I heard a rumor this weekend from 2 different Cancun locals regarding why there have been sharks near the Hotel Zone.

Apparently there is a spot between Isla Mujeres and Isla Contoy called the Cueva de los Tiburones Dormidos (Cave of the Sleeping Sharks), where you'll find tons of sharks "sleeping" on the bottom, which is considered odd because sharks usually remain constantly in motion (or so I understand... Windknot will probably have better info on that)

People are saying that with the reconstruction of the beach last year, this cave was largely covered by sand, destroying the shark's natural habitat... forcing them to come to other waters in the area.

On the other hand, I can't find anything online to back this up in Spanish or in English, so take that for what it's worth.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

And thanks to bbfrommd for the first-hand info :)

10. bbfrommd

bbfrommd Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The waves were amazing on that side of the beach and it was fun to play in the water rather than "swim professionally" in the water. Yup, you know sharks are out there, you can see then when snorkeling along the reefs, but a sign reminding the thousands of tourists that Yes, "sharks are in knee deep water" would be helpful as many don't assume they'd be hanging out that close to shore. Bottom line is that they don't want to scare the tourists because no tourists= no money

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice