Another killing in Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    killing

Gringa and I once saw CSI Cancun in action. It was comical, to say the least. Let's hope we never need to call the police here because I doubt they will be helpful.

2. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Elizabeth, you are right, and the more I read the board (only Cancun info and Living in Cancun), the more I see murders, explosions, suicides (or supposed) etc...

Is it "living in Cancun"? More dying... but people die every day everywhere. And we know how the information runs here.

I am wondering if there is not a better way for helping people willing to come to our "paradise" than giving this morbid information and adding so many comments. Just wondering...

3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't think these occurances have anything to do with the board. The truth of the matter is, Cancun has changed the last few years and these are real news headlines that can be read in Novedades. You are seeing it more not because people are posting it more, you are seeing it more, because it's happening.

Yes, there is a better way to help people who come to these boards for info. They visit the Cancun Information boards and they get a lot of very important information for travelling here on vacation. As far as I know this particular forum is an outlet for expats to come and share information and that is what everyone is doing. If the owner of this board does not want the news posted here, I'm sure he'd let us know.

I see nothing wrong with news being posted that effects people who live in Cancun. This IS the Living in Cancun forum. But as I stated, if it is news the owner of the forum doesn't want, then that's a different story.

4. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well at least some kid did not step into a school room with an automatic and kill an entire classroom.
    Whenever you haave 600,000 people living in a small area, shit like this will happen. :cool:

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I suppose it might be time for me to chip in.

I dont have a problem with the board being used for discussing Cancun crime in general or specific accidents that may happen from time to time. It's all part of living here and there's no need to hide or suppress anything. As Brian succinctly put it, in a city the size of Cancun shit happens. Just as it does in any other similar sized city all over the World and we all know that. What I'm not keen on is speculation, gossip and ill founded assumptions. The Mexican press is bad, but I honestly dont think the US press is any better. Maybe as a hoity toity Brit I am just used used to quality journalism instead of the jingoistic trash from the likes of ABC.

Take the Sea Star incident, paraphrased:

ABC News: A simple snorkel trip became a fight for life as an overloaded boat sank in Cancun killing a young girl from Texas. Cowardly Mexican crew members abandoned ship leaving heroic Americans to save the lives of their fellow countrymen.

BBC News: A snorkel boat carrying tourists ran into difficulties and became partly submerged in Cancun Mexico, one person lost their life. The cause of the accident is unlikely to be known until a full investigation has been carried out by Mexican authorities.

The other thing I'm not a fan of is the posting of shock headlines when the incident in question is really quite minor in nature. There was one today in the Cancun Info Forum. "Hotel Explosion" was the title - was this a huge terrorist bomb or major incident as one might think? No it was a gas explosion at 3:30am in the kitchen of a hotel that caused a few tourists rooms to be evacuated.

So to sum up please continue to post issues affecting Cancun whether they be good or bad, but please try to keep to the facts and not descend into the kind of crap you see on Trip Advisor.

6. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Well said from a Fellow Brit. :clap:
    I hate the news papers here- they imply so much and say so little. I am still addicted to the BBC and its the first web page I check daily. Cancun care is a very close second!!!!!!

I relied on Cancuncare for news heavily when I arrived as my spanish was rubbish.It was good to get the general twist on things.It was a god send in hurricane season too.I would hate to see that go.

Regards
    Tracey
    x

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My first choice for UK news is the Daily Mirror, page 3. But since I am not a fellow Brit, what do I know?

8. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HERE, HERE STEVE.
    Man the papers here have only violent photos on the cover (with the exception of Novedades).
    I will again say what I tell everyone. "I will walk down the streets of Cancun at 2:00am before i walk down the streets of Clevland, Denver Wash. DC or Toronto.
    I have been here for more than six years and NEVER had a problem. I lived in a small town, Frederick Maryland, and had both my cars vandalized and bullet holes in my house.
    Just don't come down and expect to buy drugs, sex or any other illegal things without getting in trouble.
    Come down have a great time and enjoy the Carribean.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve - I agree that the big TV news channels in the States are pretty much trash and Fox is especially bad. But there are some great newspapers in the States. The New York Times is my personal favorite, their Op-Ed section is second to none in the States imho.

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well Steve, you had to know you were going to get some Yankees upset with that one. Let's see if I can name some paragons of British journalism. Below is a list of solidly British trash, suitable only for wrapping fish & chips or picking up after your dog:

The Sun- Owned by Rupert Murdoch
    News of the World- Owned by Rupert Murdoch
    The Daily Mirror-
    The People - Owned by the Daily Mirror
    The Daily Mail- Supported Hitler in WW II
    The Daily Express-
    The Daily Star- Published by the same company as Daily Express. Tries to out do the Sun's Page 3 for the girl with the largest...use your imagination.

And while I'll grant you that the Guardian, The Observer, Times and the Telegraph meet the standards of real journalism, bear in mind that there is at least one quality newspaper published in virtually every major American city.

We watch the BBC News broadcasts (and listen to them on Sirius), and Jeremy Paxton's interview show as well, and while the reporting and fact-vetting is without peer, to claim that there is a transparancy and lack of bias in the reporting is untrue.

Just my unsolicited opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice