Another killing at Plaza Solare.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by rawkus, Aug 18, 2011.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    In the thread, "Interview with an Intelligence Operative," also found on this forum, Jack, the operative, makes his argument for why legalization of drug use doesn't get serious consideration, as follows:
    To read the rest of his comments, see- http://www.mexicopremiere.com/?p=5233

2. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
  3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another execution took place yesterday at Multiplaza(Kabah and Avenida Los Tules, I think..)

The victim seems to be a police named Pedro Segovia Hernández(policía de la Dirección de Seguridad Pública).

He had his day-off and was on his bike/moped on the parking-lot, around 1-2pm. Supposedly a minimum of 18 shots where fired at the victim. I just saw the picture... Wish I hadn't.

A bystander was injured as well when she was walking "nearby" with her husband and young child. Might have heard wrong on the radio, but they mentioned something about a bullet grazing her cheek.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Used to, when people asked me whether I was worried about my safety, I'd reply, "No, I'm from the U.S."

Two days ago, there was a headline saying 64 people had been murdered in the State of Quintana Roo (population 1.3 milliom), so far, this year. This latest shooting would make 65. The story that went with the headline said 49 of those were killings of one drug gang member by another.

Owing to my tendency to be dismissive of the danger, here, I decided to check to see how many murders had occurred this year in Dallas (population 1.1 million), where I'm from. I couldn't find numbers as fresh as those published here, but extrapolating from the total killed to the end of July, this year, the number killed in Dallas would be 91, so far, making the City of Dallas a more deadly violent place by nearly 50% than the State of Quintana Roo.

5. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but in light of the slap in the face that Mexico received from the US, both during and after this Fast and Furious fiasco, I say they should have a meeting with the 2 main cartel heads (Gulf and Sinaloa) and say,

"Listen...we are now going to look the other way. Let's sit down and allocate to each cartel, specific routes to the US. The both cartels will honor the other's routes. As long as you are clandestine and do not carry out your operations in the open, you will be allowed to conduct this business, much like before. (Calderon)

In return, after an amnesty period where any splinter group members may voluntarily join you, you agree to move to eliminate those splinter groups that might form or already be in existance. You also agree to promote the safety of the Mexican people and any and all foreigners who might be visiting or residing in Mexico. Kidnappings and extortion must stop."

I really hate to be this way, but the US is doing absolutely nothing to help the Mexican Government. There are NO new initiatives to curb drug use and demand in the US. Then as mentioned, you have Fast and Furious. Not only did this program kill many Mexican people and an American Border Patrol agent, but then the ATF went and promoted 3 of the agents directly responsible. I am glad that at least some of that got overturned, but the intent was there.

The US wants the drugs......well, I'm getting ready to say, "Let 'em have them." The Mexican people would surely be better off and we would be safer as well.

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: For me its not the amount of people being killed(Q Roo v/s Dallas), but rather the fact that you can get unlucky, even as a bystander, considering that the assailants aren´t usually the best shooters in in town.

Take for example the woman getting grazed by the bullet(according to media, so dont shoot the messenger) - Im sure she will feel better if/when people tell her "but they mainly target each other, so no worries".

As long as these vermin kill themselves, I dont really care, but it aint all that picture perfect, considering people get hit in the face(!) when walking nearby, mid day.

IF it ever happens nearby where I am, I sure as hell hope that the shooter/s all got perfect scores at the gun range lately ;)

@Windknot: Im happy you bring up the fact that the need for drugs in the US seems to feed the smuggling.

Ive met some really dense people when it comes to this. Usually they resort to literally screaming once the discussion reaches a sensitive point, such as the drug use of the American people.

The most common answer I get(9 out of 10) is: "This is Mexico's problem, not ours!" Hmmmmm... I have a feeling they wouldnt say the same if US switched places with Mexico geographically, for, lets say 5 years...

I think the expression "Drugs go north, money and guns go south" says a lot. A report that I saw from the DEA, stated that some 85% of the firearms used by the cartels came from the US.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It's impossible to talk about the drug related violence here (most of it) without mentioning the U.S. role in it, as you and Rawkus have done, Windknot. The police officer recently killed was killed by fire from an AK47, a weapon you can buy in the U.S., since the gun lobby killed the ban on such weapons that the Clinton administration had put in place.

But, allowing the drug cartels to stay in place, with their billions, is not a viable option, that being a threat to the very survival of the nation. They are not benign institutions. They buy weapons, and government officials, around the world.

Here's my earlier comment from another thread,

8. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    We can compare all we like - what really matters is what is happening now in the City we live in. For me (and I may be a small town girl from Europe) shootings at 2 in the afternoon in public spaces are NOT bloody normal !!!
    Am I truly the only person that feels the "undercurrent" every day ? Is it only me that worries when cars flash me from behind when driving at night? Am I the only parent that has had the "we have your kid " fake kidnapping call and cried even though I knew it was fake ?
    The longer we live here I think we become slightly immune .We certainly enjoy our daily lives but the truth is this place is becoming less secure every day . Its sad but true .

9. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I often get the same question, "Do you feel safe in Cancun?" and my answer has always been the same...Yes I do. However, my answer is a little different than it once was. Five years ago, I felt totally safe in any part of Cancun day or night. I still feel totally safe but that is because I don't go to certain areas and for sure not at night. So I am still feeling safe and sound in my own little bubble but that bubble is much smaller than it was 5 years ago.

10. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Our nights of running around the dive bars, playing pool and drinking til daylight have been replaced by goin to bed at 9pm. My house to me is the safest place in the world!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice