another FM3 Question.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by gene37412, Feb 7, 2007.

1. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is my understanding that once an FM3 is issued one has 45 days to enter the country or it is no good. What about if you get an FM3 enter the country and then leave. It is my understanding that if one leaves the country for a period of 45 days or longer that the FM3 becomes invalid and you must apply for a new one. Anybody got any first hand knowledge on this??

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My educated answer is:

Depends who's making up the rules on which day.

3. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that's pretty much the official answer too.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually the official answer is more consistent, thankfully.

Gene - Correct me if I'm wrong. Your FM-3 will be Rentista, that is it will be based on your having income or savings outside Mexico, and you do not plan to work here.

Also it appears that you are getting your FM3 from a Mexican Consul in the US prior to arriving in Mexico.

If those two assumptions are true then here's the deal:

When you get your FM3 it will have a number of days printed inside on page 4 at the top. This will likely be for 365. But could be for as little as 1 day (they would do this for visiting performers who need only a short time to come work here).

Your FM3 will be valid for that number of days STARTING the day you enter Mexico. And somewhere in there it will also say that you have 90 days to enter Mexico the first time (not 45 days).

Once you enter Mexico the time on that FM3 is running and it does not matter how long you leave for, it will be valid until it expires. (Be sure to start your renewal process 20-30 days before it expires.)

When you enter Mexico MAKE SURE that the INM agent stamps and signs page 3 of your FM3. Page 3 is reserved for the date and place you enter the country.

When someone already in Mexico applies for an FM3 page 3 shows the date they entered Mexico on their FMT (tourist permit). So the FM3 comes with page 3 already filled out. Since you haven't entered yet that page should not be filled out until you enter the country.

Let me know if any part of this doesn't make sense.

I just had this explained to me by an INM agent.

5. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RiverGirl....makes perfect sense to me and thanks for the answer....will be there by the 1st of March and you are correct....I am not working in Cancun but retired......also.....March the 11th is my birthday....my buddy Scott Wilson from CancunAssist is setting up the part at La Taberna...so please help pass the word so I can meet all of the locals that I don't already know.....Thanks again.....Gene

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gene - Glad to be of help. Will try to make your party. I struggle to enjoy La Taberna due to all the smoke, but I can probably make an appearance. If not we will meet up another time I'm sure. We Cancunenses are a social bunch...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice