Another Canadian Attacked iN Cancun..

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by whdream, May 9, 2007.

1. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info.
    Yeah there seems to be quite different stories floating around Toronto right now. Every papaer says different things.

2. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is an update From Trip Advisor

This is the official statement from the Mexican Embassy, and obviously, only "one" side, of a tragic story;
    Mexican embassy statement on Jeff Toews
    A statement issued Wednesday by the Mexican embassy on the case of Albertan Jeff Toews
    May 10, 2007 at 7:26 PM EDT
    Editor's note: The text is reproduced here without corrections for grammar or spelling.
    The Embassy of Mexico wishes to inform about the circumstances of the accident suffered by the Canadian national Jeffrey Toews in Cancun on May 7, 2007, based on the information gathered and provided by the Office of the Attorney General of the State of Quintana Roo.
    1. On May 7, 2007, Preliminary Investigation AP/ZN/CAN/01/01/2195/5-2007 was initiated upon receiving notification by fax from the Hospital de las Americas, in Cancun, reporting that a patient by the name of Jeffrey Toews had arrived in an ambulance of the Mexican Red Cross, proceeding from the Moon Palace Hotel; the patient had arrived in cardio-respiratory arrest, with possible severe craneo-encephalic trauma and blunt abdominal trauma.
    2. On the same date, at 7:46 pm, Mr. Toews' wife, Ms. Natalie Ivonne Campbell, appeared, assisted by interpreter Ángel Prieto Palmeros. Ms. Campbell stated that the victim and she had been in the company of some friends at the disco of the Moon Palace Hotel, hanging out and drinking alcoholic beverages until approximately 1:30 am, when one of the security guards came up to her husband and told him that he should leave the disco, since he had drunk too much. Therefore the couple decided to head to their room with a hotel security guard following them until they entered their room. Ms. Campbell stated that as she had also been drinking alcohol, she fell deeply asleep.
    3. According to the statement of one of the friends travelling with the couple, at approximately 1:50 am, Mr. Toews showed up again at the disco, which is why the friend told the rest of the group that he would accompany Mr. Toews back to his room so that he would not have problems with the hotel. When he turned around again Mr. Toews was gone, so he left looking for him, heading toward his room to see if he was there. When he arrived at Mr. Toews' room, Mr. Toews was closing the door and said goodnight, so both the friend and a security guard left, heading for the restaurant since the friend's wife and other companions were there. The aforementioned friend stated that at about 2:20 am, Mr. Toews showed up again and sat down at the table, leaving again two minutes later at the urging of the rest of the companions.
    4. According to the statement of one of the security guards, he was on the grounds of the hotel working at approximately 3:00 am and noticed that about forty meters from where he was standing, a male in underwear was standing inside the balcony of a room. Since he had caught the security guard's attention, the guard stopped to see what the individual would do. This same person climbed over the glass balcony onto the grass, outside the boundaries of his room. The individual took a step and then suddenly took off running toward the building to his left (Toronja building).
    5. An other security guard and a bell boy travelling in a golf cart near the Toronja building saw that a guest was running along the second story of the building near the elevators, so the guard told the bell boy to stop, and they both got out of the cart. The guard told the bell boy that he was going to check to see who this individual was. He climbed the stairs to the second floor of the Toronja building, looked down the hall and saw no one. He walked in the direction in which he had seen the person run, and seconds later, from distance of twenty or thirty metres, he heard a loud thud. When he reached the stairs he descended to the first floor, this being at the opposite side of the same building, and upon reaching the bottom looked right and left but saw no one. When he turned around partially, however, he saw a guest, who turned out to be Mr. Toews, lying on the floor, bleeding from the head, and immediately radioed the security guards' control room to have them call an ambulance.
    6. On May 8, 2007, the Director of the Hospital de las Americas was instructed to provide the Attorney General's Office with a copy of the clinical file of Jeffrey Toews.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070510.wtoewsprobe0511/BNStory/Front

3. Jlow511

Jlow511 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yet another horribly tragic event in Cancun. But this kind of stuff happens everywhere and as highly traveled as Cancun is these events here seem to get more media attention.

My prayers go out to his family and friends.

4. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well apparently according to studies, Canadains get injured/killed more in Mexico than any other destination now..
    Sad....

5. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    so your saying more canadians should go to mexico? :lol: kidding!!! I love canadians, very sexy ladies up there!

6. Ant95

Ant95 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    fletch chavs at eastern?!?!?!

7. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Who does these 'studies'?

go to mexico, act like an idiot, get hurt.

8. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I was wondering the same thing, who gets paid for these crazy ass studies?

9. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I dunno the travel industry?? duh

No i agree wiht yu Dennis act stupid and get stupid....

10. Jessie

Jessie Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I dunno!! On the radio this morning they were saying out of the 1100 canadians injured this year traveling abroad that 160 were in Mexico. Like Dennis said, you act like an idiot you get hurt!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice