ANIMAL RIGHTS WALK

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by rawkus, Apr 16, 2009.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i was at the march as well, inspiring to see so many people, heartbreaking to know why we were there. i hope that SOMETHING will be done soon! maria Alicia did ask people not to take the law into their own hands, as much as i want to see that man suffer, it would be sad to see this degenerate into something even uglier than it already is. The government MUST do something to rescue Camila and all the other animals in the same situation.

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has a group of people with the media knocked on his door and asked that he give up the dog? If he does this on television, no doubt the negativity that is directed at him and his house will die down. Perhaps a letter can be given to him to persuade him to do this ahead of time so that he doesn't hide behind closed doors.

Maybe this is the best legal non-violent way to do this?

(I still think he deserves the crap beaten out of him but really getting the dog out of there is a number one priority.)

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A legal Demanda was filed with the city last week. It was filed by RAP with testimony from another local vet.

Today at about 1 pm the Cancun dog-catcher (la perrera) took Camila away from her owner. But apparently there was a skirmish between the dog catcher and onlookers who were filming Camila being taken. Initial reports are that the dog catcher made threats against the witnesses and even tried to force their car off the road. I understand that much of this was caught on tape, so I imagine it will be made public soon.

Now that Camila has been taken from her abuser it's important to make sure that she goes to a good home where she can recover. RAP will be working to insure that outcome.

Oh and Camila's owner has changed the number on his house AGAIN, now it's 267...

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Please keep us posted RG and great work.

5. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG: Great news!! :lol:

Elizabeth: First step accomplished I guess? :)

I also think he deserves the same treatment as the poor little puppy, but one wonders if that would really make him understand that what he did was wrong? Im assuming that he is waaaaay to stupid to understand anything.

The problem with knocking on the door and asking is that to him this wasnt anything bad - that was normal behaviour. Scary if you ask me.

Oh well, well keep our eyes and ears open :)

I never would have thought that Camila would have been taken out of that hell today already.

Im sure we havent heard the last about this yet...

6. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So any takers for Camila yet? I'm hoping that lots of dog lovers offer to take her in. Poor little girl...

I can understand the rage that would drive people to egg his house and destroy his property, but really, shouldn't the first priority be getting her out? Especially because this man is obviously not right in the head, attacks like that could have gotten her beat up more or even worse, killed.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RAP is working to get Camila released from the perrera. I expect Camila will have to sleep at the perrera tonight, we hope that by tomorrow we can get her out of there.

This dog has been repeatedly and badly abused, she can't just go home with anyone. I think she needs a lot of rehab before she will be adoptable. She needs to learn that she can trust people.

I expect that Maria Alicia will want to take care of Camila for a while before she is given up for adoption. But right now the most important thing is to get Camila away from the perrera before they decide to kill her or something.

The perrera in Cancun is the only authority which could legally have taken Camila from her owner. But they do not have the funding to take proper care of dogs or even to euthanize humanly.

Camila may actually be in more danger now that she's been "rescued" than she was before. But hopefully by tomorrow we will have some understanding of how to get the poor baby out of there.

8. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If anyone can make Camila trust people again, it's you, RiverGirl!

I dearly hope that she ends up in the home of you or someone like you.

9. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks so much for your work on this Rivergirl, I have to say it's been occupying my mind since watching even a small part of the video of abuse.

Here's a short video of yesterday's event for anyone who missed it.

[media=youtube]M9nVoxSQhZ0[/media]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That video is GREAT!

Camila is now legally adoptable. I don't have info on how to actually adopt her though. I will speak to RAP's prez tomorrow to see what she knows about the process and about what Camila's needs are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice