ANIMAL RIGHTS WALK

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by rawkus, Apr 16, 2009.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mat: It wouldnt bring down the whole economy, but to threaten the biggest source of income should help bring some changes.

I rely on tourism as well, but I also cant go on pretending like everything is ok. Cancun and Mexico as a whole is worthless when it comes to the protection of animals - we as foreigners have a great chance to shed some light on this.

I will def send some info to the swedish newspapers as I feel that people have the right to know. At least that gives people a choice :)

This is not only about this specific case - this is something I have witnessed since arriving some 2 years ago...

As a person with normal values, it hurts me a lot to see that most people honestly dont give a s*it.

Ban petshops from selling puppies, kittens etc. - Impulse buys are the majority of the cases in the various shelters.

Make breeders spay the puppies they sell. Make it a law.

Maybe most important of all: Educate the locals. On this point I dont blame them, since Cancun is approx 35 years old and went from being a small Mayan village to this tourism haven of North America.

Boycott will never be 100% effective since many tourists dont give a crap what happens outside of the Hotel Zone.

But to raise issues and bring about some negative publicity would, hopefully, make the people in charge become a bit more careful regarding their source of income.

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just watched that video - what a sick ***!!!@@@

Has anyone spoken to the guy about it? Or is he a big drunk?

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let's hurt the goose that lays the golden egg so we can bring attention to a problem that has nothing to do with the goose. It has been tried before by radical, fringe groups before. It is quite a "Mexican" thing to do--protest by taking over streets and public and even private buildings and areas under the right of "free transit." Mexico City has an average of more than 1 March per day. Fortunately local, State an Federal governments are starting to enforce the rights of all citizens, not just the vociferous minority that tries to blackmail the rest into doing what they want them to do. Also, don't forget, foreigners (non-Mexican)are strictly prohibited from getting involved in politics.

When I first got to Cancun, I also figured that I knew better than anyone else here and wondered why they didn't make me the mayor--or dictator at least. They haven't so far and I have stopped wondering why. I know why. I don't have all of the answers. I do what I can where I can and try not to run everyone else's life.

I am sure there are legal, ethical and moral ways to meet your goals without beating someone up, breaking into private property or getting yourself and others in trouble. This is not wherever most of us came from. This is Mexico and animal rights in developing countries are not as highly prized as they are in developed countries. Yes, things have to done but rationally and with respect for the rights, and ideas of those who do not think the same.

This comes from a 60's and 70's radical, marcher and protester.
    My guess is that this thread will and/or should be closed.

4. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim: I know what you mean, and beating someone up is probably the last option anyone(hopefully!) would have to resort to.

Its not about running someones life - for me its about common values.

If everyone just sits back and shuts up, then nothing will be done...ever.

It was the same with corruption and the drug violence, but now when its really hurting the Mexican economy, they HAVE to show the rest of the world that they at least are trying.

As I mentioned, its not about running anyone's lives. However, I do NOT understand people who just wants to ignore it. Before I travel somewhere, I always ask questions regarding certain things, and many time I have cancelled trips because of serious and bad issues...

My point is that everyone has the right to know. People will however not find out about it as long as we just sit back and do absolutely nothing about it.

This goes beyond this specific case... The are countless of cruelty acts towards animals in Cancun.

As the city is trying to portrait itself as a "modern city", there is no point whatsoever to exclude animals.

I do not understand the whole "I know better" thing, as for me, its not about me setting up any rules, simply Im suggesting different, cost effective and simple options.

No one who lives here can have missed out on the amount of stray dogs/cats that roam the city.

If one doesnt care about the animals, then at least worry what this problem brings about... Viruses, diseases, etc that could ALL be avoided if there was some sort of foundation.

I care a lot about animals of all kinds, since to me, they, together with children, are the only true innocent ones in our societies.

Im sorry for my reaction regarding to beat him up - that was something I wrote when I was fuming(not that Im not doing that still...) I do however think that he deserves it, since , most likely, nothing will be done.

If one doesnt believe that a change can be made, then one has given up even before trying. That to me is weakness...

5. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    God,
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can and the
    Wisdom to know the difference.

6. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim: A prayer? :)

I consider animal cruelty to be a changeable issue - it has been done many many times across the world, why not in Mexico? :)

Is there any prayers about not giving up beforehand? ;)

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus - Maria Alicia, who is the president of RAP, needs your energy. She can help you mobilize in a way that will make a long-term difference. I recommend you contact her through their web site.

Biting the hand that feeds Cancun (tourism) will result in less money for RAP to fight its cause. RAP is working closely with people in the travel industry, in the hotels and in the local govt to work towards a solution. We need tourism dollars to reach our goals.

Informing tourists of the problem and at the same time giving them a way to help solve the problem is part of the way RAP will reach its goals.

A lawyer claiming to represent the abusive dog owner, has been trying to get RAP to take the video off YouTube and to pull down his address from the web site. Unfortunately for him the video has been posted on YouTube by several people now, so it's gone viral and can't be taken down.

I just walked by the home of the dog owner, he's just changed the number on his house away from 267-A to 268. The number looks brand new. He's feeling the pressure and is now trying to hide.

I want to ask that anyone who is frustrated and angry about the treatment of animals in Cancun and about this one dog in particular to PLEASE attend tomorrow's march and please get in touch with Maria Alicia at RAP to see how you can be part of the long term solution.

Thank you all for all your anger, we need it, but remember that we have to convert that anger to positive action before we can turn the tides on the way animals are treated in Cancun.

8. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus:
    Read it again. It is not about giving up before you try. It's about not beating your head against a wall but about finding a door to get to the other side of the wall.

But sometimes we have to beat ourselves silly (or rather smart)before we learn that lesson. No more responses from me on this topic. If you don't understand yet, then you don't understand. Have fun learning.

9. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG: What I tried to say was to simply threaten the tourism income.

Since I was 15 I have worked with animal rights, and we have succeeded in places far worse than Cancun when it comes to treatment of animals.

I am still going to send this through to our newspapers back home - they are usually pretty quick to mobilize. It doesnt have to be a boycott, it can simply be tonnes and tonnes of signatures from private persons, companies, travel agents etc. A little pressure seems to make the Mexican government to move its behind :)

I have great contact with our Swedish ambassador in DF. Ill contact her and ask for advice regarding some ways to just spread the word.

Its not about killing anyone's economy, but just simply show that enough is enough. No harm in that if you ask me :)

Jim: I know what you mean.

I assume we all have different ways of going about things :)

Hope to see a whole bunch of people tomorrow though !! :)

10. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just came home from the march.

Im really bad at judging the amount of people, but I can def say that we were more than 300, plus a whole bunch of dogs :lol:

We walked from Plaza del Toros, stopped for about 15-20 mins at the fountain on tulum/coba.

Then we walked the last stretch to the Palacio Municipal.

I personally spoke to over 7 different newspapers, and both the journalists and tv-teams followed all the way from Plaza del Toros to the final destination.

Once there, we met with the main guy of Secretaria de Sauld(Health dept.)

Of course he promised that a "new law will be put to place by 9am tomorrow" so that we first can get Camila(the dog that is being beat up EVERY single evening..) but being a politician and being in Mexico, I wouldnt count on that just yet...

But we all agreed to give the authorities hell until we start seeing changes.

This was a start and several by passers joined in.

Apparently the man who beats up Camila, changed, all by himself, his house number...

A group of around 15-20 people said they were going to his house after the meeting.

Some people had already been there and his house was attacked with raw eggs etc. Someone also smashed the windscreen of his car...

The whole thing lasted for about 2.5 hours and we all feel that what the head of the Health Dept said was pretty much BS, but, as mentioned, this was just the beginning.

More people will join next time(although Im hoping no next time is needed..)

Now the idiots neighbors knows whats going on and they are both furious and keeping eyes and ears open.

It was great to have TV Azteca and all the other newsagents there!

Hopefully this will all pick up and we can hopefully make at least a small change... to start with :lol:

Ps. I apologize for all/any spelling mistakes, English is my 5Th language...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice