ANIMAL RIGHTS WALK

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by rawkus, Apr 16, 2009.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On this SUNDAY, the 19th of April, people are meeting at Plaza Del Toros at 430-5pm to walk to the "Council palace" on Tulum (Gregs HQ).

We will do this walk to try to shed some light regarding animal rights here in Cancun.

Like most of you know, there are not much space for animal rights here in Cancun, even though there are some existing laws that are NOT being put to work.

Please, if you do care about animals and their wellbeing, then spare a couple of hours to show your support.

This Sunday the 19th of April, 430-5PM at Plaza Del Toros.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad you posted this. I was going to do that tomorrow.

On a related note there's a dog that needs help in SM41, it's being regularly abused by its owner. If anyone has any ideas about how to help please get back to us or leave a comment on the post:
    http://rapanimalrescue.org/2009/04/dog-faces-nightly-abuse-in-cancun/

Authorities have been contacted but of course there are no laws to protect this poor dog, it is property and you are free in Mexico to abuse your property. This is EXACTLY why the march is so important! We need to get these laws changed.

If someone steals the dog (which I believe would be best for the dog) then the owner may well go get another dog to abuse. I'm thinking that the neighbors there need to come together and sign a petition that shames this owner out of replacing the dog he is beating. They need to let him know they are watching him and are hating his actions.

3. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG: I dont mind climbing inside to grab the dog. I also dont mind beating the living sh*t out of that scum and sorry excuse of a human.

I have no idea where this is, but if needed, Ill go inside and get him/her.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh I know EXACTLY where it is! That's easy.

RAP is working on some different ways to free the dog. And you are about the 20th person who has offered to beat the guy up.

I'm wondering if a petition for the dog could go around at the protest walk on Sunday. It could be a plea to the owner to give up the dog and to promise not to get another one. I'd also like to see the guy's neighbor's sign that petition.

I also thought about just going over there and offering the guy money for the dog. But then he might just get another dog. I think he has to know that his neighbors think he's a jerk and are watching him.

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't want to watch that after I saw the comments on Twitter but I decided to check it out since it was posted here to.

My recommendation is to steal the dog and leave a very hefty threatening letter. I would prefer if worse was done to him but I'll keep it at that.

Paying him for the dog will make him think that he can earn money by doing this and get another one in the hopes of making more money. Not a good idea.

I'm so absolutely disgusted by this and there are no words to explain how horrible that made me feel and how much my blood boiled. If I was there I would have stolen the dog already.

6. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    dogs

The worst part is that we have no idea how many animals are being abused....but how can we change it??

7. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG: Well, like I said: If its needed for the dog to be "stolen", then Im in. If its needed for the dude to get whipped, then Im certainly in.

Petition is a good start! Also, does anyone know how to contact TV Azteca etc? It would be great to shed some massive light on this and broadcast the video several times.

Elizabeth: I understand your lack of words and Im assuming that most of us feel the same :(

Susan in Cancun: We as foreigners (ie: Money and investors..) could, if we got organized, have some great influence since many of us are gateways for more foreign investors coming here. Why not use that?

Threaten to spread the word that the so called "Paraiso" is actually not all that great when it comes to certain things... I know fellow Swedes would boycott coming here if they would find out about this sh*t.

Im going to write to our three largest newspapers and offer them to start a petition which will be sent to the Mexican embassy in Stockholm.

We are not the biggest country on earth, but we do spend HEAPS of money travelling to Mexico each year...

The main thing is to at least do SOMETHING - This is NEVER going to stop until people actually understand that this is not acceptable.

With the violence spreading, further economical punches to the gut should be very frightening to Mexico and its government.

Word of mouth is worse for a country depending on tourism than ANYTHING else.

Hope to see at least a few people from the forum at Plaza Del Toros on Sunday.

8. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In the meantime rawkus, I give you full permission to go steal the dog. I can't stand to think that that he/she has to go through another night of that.

NOT OK-----> :flogging:

:(

9. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was very surprised(to say the least..) to actually see the video on the local news last night!! Its the crappy channel that has "SIPSE" written in the corner.

They had a Vet on the phone and also showed the house in daylight :D

They mentioned the walk tomorrow and urged people who care, to join and speak their mind.

River Girl, do you know if its ok to bring dogs for the walk?

Elizabeth: Id love to grab him/her(?). Right now I reckon it would be risky since the guy must have noticed the news teams filming and taking pictures of his house...

Hopefully something good will come out of the walk/meeting tomorrow.

If not, then we should get the dog out of there.

I dont have a car, nor do I know where the guy lives, but that can all be taken care of :)

I cant keep the dog in our flat, since we are not even allowed to have any, but we are sneaking around(thank you dear neighbors :)) with two adopted stray dogs.

I would assume the first thing would be to take him/her to a vet.

Hope to see some people tomorrow!!

It doesnt cost you anything and its for a great cause! :)

10. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus - I understand your concerns but trying to ruin Cancun's economy by boycotts isn't exactly going to help us as most of us rely on the economy to live here and without it we will have to go home to our countries. :cry:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice