American TV

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by gene37412, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, if I whine enough at the store, I should be able to contract those channels???

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tell them you know what channels they are, know you have several friends that have them, and make them give them to you.

3. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pretty sure the colour glossy flyer I got a few months back for the digital service showed those channels in one of the packages.

If you're a new connection, you shouldn't have any problems getting them.

If you hit a moron at the main office, ask to see their supervisor. Many employees won't tell you the truth, if the truth involves more work for them, at the same pay rate as if they tell you a lie and get to sit there watching tv a few minutes more each day.

Their favourite work-reduction excuse is to tell you outright that there is no cable service in your area. Never mind you nearly broke your neck on the next door neighbours low hanging cable connection on your way out the door of your apartment a few miutes earlier!

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Drew - I can't tell you how much I love your cynicism, it cracks me up every time. It's true that lots of people here don't make ANY extra effort to do their jobs well. It sure seems like pride in a job well done is not part of this culture.

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interesting......I have (or so I thought) every channel Cablemas offers with the exception of the adult ones. I think I might have a bitch&moan session with them about those channels I am not getting.. By chance do you recall who exactly at the office, you dealt with?

6. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't have a clue who I delt with...I'm headed back tomorrow to make my order and I'll raise a fit until I get the stations I want!

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    American TV in Cancun

The footprint of one of Dish Networks satellites (119 W) extends into Cancun and there are several vendors who can equip you with a dish and converter to receive Dish in Cancun. IF you are in the ZH look up. The dishes pointing out to sea are Sky. The dishes pointing over the lagoon are Dish.

All the Dish packages are available except for certain channels that reside on satellites other than the 119 West. All the HBOs, Showtimes, Discovery, BBC America, etc. are available. I have the Dish 200 package plus HBO and Showtime and pay 70 USD per month.

One caveat is that you'll need a US address and there are some complications in getting the major US networks unless that address is in the "right" city. If you want details, PM me.

8. hodamayo

hodamayo Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Local programming

I know how to make it all work and work right!

PM me

9. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sky Mexico's SpeedChannel programming has been changed from the US version to a special version for Mexico.

Only problem with that is instead of putting the Spanish voiceover on the SPanish audio channel and leaving the English audio channel alone, they pipe the Spanish audio down both. Grrrr. Totally ruins the Australian V8 coverage.

And the Spanish version doesn't have the F1 coverage.

You'd think that since Fox owns SkyTV Mexico, Speed Channel AND the rights to F1 coverage in the USA and Mexico, they'd be able to sort something out.

But you'd be wrong.

Time to look at other alternatives.

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sky is the absolute worst in terms of programming content and technical problems. I've posted before about my encounters with their engineering department so I won't go on about it.

Since Hodomayo has posted, I'll reveal that he's the guy that got me hooked up to Dish Network's US programming and I couldn't be happier. He knows his stuff and his support and response is first rate. And as a disclaimer, I have no connection to his company nor Dish other than being a satisfied customer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice