American dollars

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by amers, Jan 10, 2009.

1. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a question for you, and I am not sure if I should post this here or the living in Cancun forum. I have been reading on an Isla Mujeres website that you can't exchange American dollars there at the bank, and am wondering if there are problems at Cancun about exchanging American dollars? We have always exchanged our American dollars once we get to Cancun, and was wondering if that is going to be a problem there or if it is just on Isla Mujeres? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had no difficulty buying pesos for dollars at any branch of Scotia or HSBC, so I can say with confidence that you'll be able to use one of those banks. Depositing a foreign check, however, is a different matter, with US checks taking 3 to 4 weeks to clear and European checks even longer.

3. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I thought they would be biting your hand off for US dollars - with the exchange rate etc???

4. cancunkrazy

cancunkrazy Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am confused, i am going during spring break, what currency should i take? how much for 10 days?

5. Laura Mapchick

Laura Mapchick Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Amers you can exchange your dollars for pesos on Isla Mujeres at the cambios, but the HSBC Bank on the island is not exchanging dollars for pesos or cashing travelers checks right now.
    You can also use the ATMs on Isla to get pesos.

6. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone know what the rate for USD is at the cambios in Cancun? Thanks.
    On X-rates.com it says 13.8 pesos to the dollar.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
  8. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the responce Steve!!

9. Vic

Vic Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    X-Rate

Banks will always change your TC’s (so long they are one of their contracted company issued ones such as Visa, MC or AMEX) except that stores or merchants are now frightened about counterfeit documents and they reserve the right to exchange a check yet not an actual currency bill unless it’s proven fake.

Large Grocery Stores (Walmart, Sams Club) will have signs all over that alert customers on large bills will not be honored such as $50 and $100 USD. Same is for TC’s of such denominations.

Advise to you is; bring as little/much cash on hand as you would use for 2 days or cash checks at the airport upon arrival at any bank or exchange house. There after use either a bank, exchange house or your hotel’s cashier with the same rule, no more that 12 day’s worth.

You can also just use an ATM and get enough $ for 1 to 2 days worth so you save on commissions and not have large funds in case of a misfortunate event.

Hoping this helps I also support Map’s Chick advise.

Cheers.,

Vic
    --

PS: I cashed some $ earlier today @ $13.66 Pesos per $1.00 USD

10. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all of the info and help. We have changed money on Isla at the bank, but when in Cancun usually just have done it at our hotel, and sounds like that is still the same. I just didn't want to get to Cancun and find out no one would take or exchange our American dollar bills. We also usually bring $20. bills or less, we don't want a hassel with exchanging the larger ones.

Thanks again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice