Airport, Residents of Mexico

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Mar 8, 2015.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Arriving to the largest crowd and long lines I've ever seen at immigration at the airport I approached someone who looked like he might have some rank and asked if I, a resident of Mexico, couldn't go to the line for Mexicans (there was no one at all in that line). He said I could and directed me to it.

A few minutes later I was through immigration.

It's a lot of bother to become a resident here and it would be nice to think this benefit could be consistently extended to us.

2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It just gets better

My wife returned from a trip on Wednesday. Lines at immigration were not too bad so she opted not to go to the Mexican line, fearing rejection, though there was no one in the Mexican line. Twenty minutes later she got to the desk with her documents.

My wife is a permanent resident. The agent asked her, "Why didn't you get in the line for Mexicans," then proceeded to explain to her that it was her privilege as a permanent resident to use the Mexican line. She added that this privilege was not available to those who were temporary residents but was limited to permanent residents.

Read, and heed, those who do not like to stand in long immigration lines!

3. Rudyman

Rudyman Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So did you need to show proof ie fm3 or did you just tell them you reside in Cancun?

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I may have not caught your drift, Rudyman, but you'll be presenting your immigration documents at the airport so they'll know your status in Mexico no matter what you may say about your residence. They'll be interested only in your official status.

5. Rudyman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What I am asking is did you show your American passport in the Mexican resident line and not show anything else for proof of residence or did they just accept verbally that you live in Cancun? I own in Cancun but don't have a fm3

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I present both my passport and my permanent residence card at immigration.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    My wife and I just had yet another good experience using the line at immigration marked as reserved to Mexicans.

When we arrived at the immigration hall at 4:30 PM on Saturday it was packed. Again, there was no one in the line for Mexicans. We went forward when called by the nearest immigration officer and presented our permanent resident cards. He asked how long we'd been living in Mexico then proceeded to clock us in. Naturally, we were the first to get to the baggage area but fortunately the service was fast and within ten minutes, start to finish, we were heading out of Terminal three.

We are so grateful they've opened up this line to permanent residents and hope others are also taking advantage of this service.

8. Rudyman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I own an apartment in Cancun, come 4-6 times a year but do not have a "resident card". Have bank acct etc. do you think I could squeak thru Mexican line with bank statement, electric bill to show I own in Cancun or do you think they would make me switch lines and go back to the end?

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I think you can try without causing yourself too much anxiety by asking for permission from one of the immigration people who are managing the crowds before you go to the Mexican line. Otherwise, you risk the rebuff and inconvenience you're imagining.

Have you considered applying for permanent residence? Permanent residence does not require that you spend any specific amount of time each year in Mexico, nor does it require renewal: it is truly permanent.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Interestingly, Mauricio Mendoza, a Mexican lawyer who does a lot of immigration work maintains the Mexican line is just for Mexicans.

As readers can see from this thread, and others before it over the last two years, my experience and my wife's experience- even on those occasions when we were not traveling together- has been different from his impression and belief.

I suppose it's worth noting that even if he traveled out of the country he would not experience the re-entry process as a foreigner, permanent resident of Mexico, but rather as a citizen, which limits his ability to test his belief, as a practical matter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice