Advice for a Cancun Newbie

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by cancungrl, Jan 7, 2010.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have enough savings to live here for at least 6 months before you sort out working.

Don't rent the first place you like, learn the layout of city before renting. Some areas are much safer, quieter, easier to live in than others.

Most important, make sure you keep enough savings so you can move back and start over if things don't work out here.

2. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How does one get thier documents authenticated (Apostilled) in the U.S? Do I need to go see a notary public or someone else has to do it? Do the documents (marriage license, Diplomas, etc) have to be translated into Spanish also?

3. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another "FM" question. My wife is Mexican and I have 2 kids who were born in the U.S. but have also recently received their Mexican Citizenship and I am an AMerican Citizen. My wife wants to move to Cancun. Do I need find a job before I can get "FM" status? How about starting a business instead of finding a job? Can I just apply for the "FM" based on the fact that my wife is Mexican?

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This is not normally very complicated, but there will be a number of steps, and you will need perhaps 2-4 weeks to get everything back to you in the proper form.

First, look online and find your state's, Secretary of State Office, where you will find details about how to contact them, what documents in what form they are willing to apostile, and how to make a request for an apostile, including a downloadable form for your request. Everything can be done by mail, generally.

Once you are sure you understand which documents they are willing to apostile, you then go about collecting any you don't already have on hand. For each, you will have to contact the governmental agency in the state where your document/record can be found. For example, you birth certificate will be on file in the county and state in which you were born. Terminology can vary, but most states will keep records like this in their state office of vital statistics. For marriage records, most states will keep these in the county offices of the county in which you married. You can follow the same process, going on line to get full details about how to proceed, in regard to each document you will need.

Once you have the documents in hand, you will forward them to the Secretary of State's office to be apostilled. Doing this in a very careful manner, following every detail of the instructions you are given, will insure an orderly process.
    _____________________-

About FMs, and work visas, you have the stickies, above, and these two threads, as well, as good places to start. Lots has been written about this, though more can always be said!

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/living-cancun-riviera-maya/13653-navigating-immigration-cancun.html

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/liv...01-another-question-about-working-cancun.html

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Apostiles

This is not normally very complicated, but there will be a number of steps, and you will need perhaps 2-4 weeks to get everything back to you in the proper form.

First, look online and find your state's, Secretary of State Office, where you will find details about how to contact them, what documents in what form they are willing to apostile, and how to make a request for an apostile, including a downloadable form for your request. Everything can be done by mail, generally.

Once you are sure you understand which documents they are willing to apostile, you then go about collecting any you don't already have on hand. For each, you will have to contact the governmental agency in the state where your document/record can be found. For example, you birth certificate will be on file in the county and state in which you were born. Terminology can vary, but most states will keep records like this in their state office of vital statistics. For marriage records, most states will keep these in the county offices of the county in which you married. You can follow the same process, going on line to get full details about how to proceed, in regard to each document you will need.

When you have the documents in hand, you will forward them to the Secretary of State's office to be apostilled. Doing this in a very careful manner, following every detail of the instructions you are given, will insure an orderly process.

About FMs, and work visas, you have the stickies, above, and these two threads, as well, as good places to start. Lots has been written about this, though more can always be said!

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/living-cancun-riviera-maya/13653-navigating-immigration-cancun.html

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/liv...01-another-question-about-working-cancun.html

As for translations, you should definitely wait until you get here because, for many applications, the translations will have to be done by an official, government recognized translator.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice