Aduana (Customs) Rant

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Jan 26, 2009.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I receive envelopes from the US. Some contain things like credit card replacements, other contain screener DVDs from the studios I used to work for. They come by FedEx, DHL, UPS and snail mail. Each and every one is opened by aduanas. Fine. No complaint. I understand that they think I may have developed the technology to shrink a kilo of cocaine into a DVD envelope, not box, envelope.

Can someone please explain why I get charged duty on anything and everything delivered by UPS. Not FedEx, not DHL, not the Post Office. Only UPS. This morning I received new ATM cards from my New York bank. I had to pay 55 pesos aduanas duty for a fricken envelope with 2 plastic cards inside.

The operator at UPS was totally unhelpful and couldn't (wouldn't) find anyone for me to speak with. With 80 or so envelopes arriving every October to January, it is mildly annoying to fork over 3 to 5 bucks each time UPS rings the bell. I forgot to mention that for identically sized packages the fee will vary. Maybe aduanas is pre-voting the Academy. If any of you have experience with international shipping and customs, I'd really appreciate some insight.

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I can't be much help BUT, I receive about 100 letters, magazines, etc. PER WEEK. I just noticed this time that they opened everything. (These all come Fedex) This is the first time they open the letters. They are bills mainly and letters related to work. What was interesting is that one of my employees received 4 little boxes each with jewelry--not expensive but they arrived. No extra tax was required for anything. It was interesting to see that everything was opened when it never had been before. Maybe there are new rules or at least people who make and enforce them. I almost never receive anything from UPS and of course DHL is out of the picture now.

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually DHL is still shipping, but only internationally. Of course, after they closed all United States domestic operations and ruined so many lives, I avoid them like poison.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice