Acapulco VS Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Hyru, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Hyru

Hyru Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know this is a Cancun forum, and I know this question has been asked before...
    But I have some specific questions and Im hoping some of you Cancun nuts have visited Acapulco and can give me your unbiased views.

Ive been to Cancun 4 times - stayed at oasis twice, Gran Caribe Real once, and Riu Cancun once. I loved it each and every time, which is why Ive always gone back.

This year, me and a few friends were looking to book our trip for the summer (which always happens in July) and we were possibly thinking of Acapulco - for a change.

Were all in our low-mid 20s... single... and the most important aspects to us are the clubs, parties, and of course, the ladies. Cancun had all of this... but how does Acapulco stack up?

Id love you overall opinions of the two (especially if youve researched both and/or have gone to both).

Here are a few specific questions for those who have some time to answer....

1. Is it true that Acapulco is an "older" crowd? Cancun seems to be mainly a crowd between the ages of 18-23..... is Acapulco a bit older?

2. How are the beaches in Acapulco compared to Cancun?

3. How is the food in Acapulco compared to Cancun?

4. How are the clubs in Acapulco compared to Cancun? We like hiphop/reggae/reggaeton... not fans of house/trance music... will Acapulco be alright for us?

5. I've heard its more dangerous in Acapulco because of its proximity to Mexico City... how big of a factor is this?

6. What is a good hotel to stay at? To give you an idea of what we prefer... Oasis Cancun was a bit too sketchy for us... but the party was great. Whereas Gran Caribe Real and Riu Cancun provided the best of both worlds (parting and quality hotel). Ive heard of hotel copacabana in Acapulco... is this the place to be?

7. Ladies, ladies, ladies. I know they'll be there... but will it be as busier or equally as busy as Cancun?

Appreciate the help!

2. Hyru

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    no ones gone to Acapulco?!

3. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I can tell you that cancun's beaches are FAR nicer than acapluco's! Thats for sure!! The water in cancun is beautiful, in acapulco its more dark and merky!

4. Hyru

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks EngineerGuy...

Ive read that as well. Apparently the sewage system is someway setup to lead straight into the beach waters :oops:

Any idea how the clubs are?

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would stick with Cancun. You never run out of new experiences, and if it's not broke, don't fix it.

When it rains in Acapulco you literally can see raw sewage running along the curbs.

It is definitely an older crowd for the most part.

The Acapulco Princess is one of the nicer places I have ever stayed. Upscale for sure but in a Caribbean sort of way, not like a stuffy old Ritz Carlton.

6. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We went to Acapulco in 2000 and 2001, and loved the night life back then. The discos/clubs were more elegant and organized. Everyone had a table to sit at and the service was non-stop. The two clubs we went to often (Palladium and Enigma) were exclusively techno/dance music. Same with Disco Beach (the name gives that one away). Also more outdoor clubs in Acapulco, several right on the beach, very popular at night.

Weather much more predictable in Acapulco, rarely a cloud in the sky, at least in January/February when we were there. In Cancun, you will usually have a rainy day and many cloudy days.

Beach in Cancun much better -- softer sand, clear blue water; Acapulco has rocky beach, strong currents and dirtier water. Also very hot to walk on. Cancun/Mayan Riveria definitely better for snorkeling, scuba, etc.

We found no difference in the crowds -- always a mix of young and old, familes and singles. Just depends where you stay and what restaurants/clubs you hit. The nightclubs have the younger crowds and places like Senor Frogs have the over-30 crowds.

Both places have the usual mix of restaurtants, so we followed the premise that if it is busy it may be good. Will find Pizza Hut, Macdonalds, etc. in both locations and never a shortage of small cantinas that serve wonderful Mexican dishes.

Find the local people in Cancun much friendlier, speak better English and very helpful. There was more of a mix of vacationers in Acapulco, so you heard German, French, Italian, etc. much more. So the locals didn't know as much English because the tourists didn't all speak it either.

Both trips to Acapulco we stayed at the Cobacabana hotel. Great pool activities and organized club hopping trips each night. Of course, that was seven years ago so no idea what it is like now. We now stay in Cancun at a small resort so can't say too much about what the hot-spot hotels are to stay at.

7. sunnyblack

sunnyblack Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My two cents

Hey World,

Let me weigh in on this one. I've been to both places. Cancun more times than Acapulco because the flight is much cheaper and shorter. Go figure. Acapulco is closer to Portland, Or. than Cancun.

Beaches - Hands down Cancun!!! The water is beautiful and warm. The soft white beaches don't burn your feet. On the other hand the beaches in Acapulco are picturesque but the surf can be really dangerous even when you are strolling along the shore ten feet away from the water. The water is dark and rough but very warm, in Feb.! The sand is not 'fine' like in Cancun nor is it white. The sand starts to burn early in the afternoon, in Feb.!(trying to make a point on how hot it gets in Acapulco!). There are less vendors in Cancun, to me, then in Acapulco. I've seen whales jumping in the bay of Acapulco not far from where my girl and I were on a jet ski!!

Night life - This has to go to Acapulco. Cancun's night life is close but nothing compares to Palledium in Acapulco! It's one of the many clubs on the side of the mountain overlooking the bay. Large glass wall so that you can party with the bay of Acapulco as a back drop. Let's not forget "Dancing with the Devil". It was incredible. You have to experience it once in your life. Then they start with the fireworks show. Scared the crap out of me my first night. I was drunk and was startled by the big bangs. Jumped out of bed and told my girl that the city was under attack(funny). I loved La Boom in Cancun. I'm going to miss it(I heard that it hasn't re-pened).

Food - This also has to go to Acapulco. Big time! The food in Cancun, even at the local joints, just doesn't live up to or taste like "mexican" food. I found some good restaurants in Cancun but none of them drowned out the memories I have of "Tacos & Beer" of Acapulco. In Acapulco I asked for a burrito and the people looked at me funny. In Cancun they asked me what I wanted in the thing. LOL. The locals do speak better english in Cancun than Acapulco.

Shopping - About a tie. Cancun has better malls(La Isla de Mujers, Mall of Americas, etc) and Acapulco has a better and bigger local market(Zona Central). The Wal-Mart in Acapulco is bigger and better.

Hotels - Tilting towards Cancun. They are more modern for the most part. Acapulco hotels are taller and ring around the bay and quite a few of them have problems with their elevators. I too stayed on a higher floor of a hotel only to have to foot it up and down 15 floors more times then I like to remember, drunk. Not cool. LOL. Cancun's hotels are more 'flat' in shape and are between the ocean and the lagoon. There is nothing like watching the sun rise over the ocean and set over the lagoon in Cancun.

Price - Acapulco is cheaper except for the flight portion. Hotels, food, shopping are all cheaper in Acapulco then it is in Cancun. Cancun is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much 'Americanized'. No getting around that fact.

Nearby attractions - Cancun has more. The ruins, the city of Merida, and Belize are within several hours. Acapulco has a silver mining city, Mexico City, and the resort town of Ixtapa within several hours. It's more dangerous to venture outside of Acapulco(especially going south) then it is in Cancun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice