About the new ads

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Steve, Aug 11, 2004.

?

Your opinion on the ads?

1. Dont like them

100.0%
  2. They dont bother me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I like them, they could add value

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Thanks for the feedback folks.

Hmm, an ad that nobody notices! not necessarily the best type of ad :lol: but at least it means they are not too intrusive.

Certainly I would never consider having pop ups or anything animated - they are far too annoying. As for the email issue, there is no way that any user information can be collected simply by displaying the ads.

I am a little disappointed by the context nature, they all seem to just jump on the word cancun or blue bay getaway (including our own for premiernights), and show the same ads each thread - I thought they might pick up hotel names and weather links for example.

Michael, I would have preferred myself to put them below the links to other parts of the site and below the 2 for 1 card button etc. But to get a little techy it's not really possible, not without breaking the terms of use.

The board has an overall footer file that the website links, links to the 2 for 1 card etc go on. This overall footer file is displayed on every page - profile pages, search pages, posting windows, memberlist etc. However, you are not allowed to display the google ads on search or memberlist pages. This means I have to put the code on 3 other files rather than the overall footer file so I have little option in position other than where they are now or at the top of the board.

I might experiment and see what they do look like at the top of the threads, but I'll leave them at least a week or so where they are before I play any more.

2. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    I remember I started seeing them on Monday. I though they were yours Steve when I saw that half the links went to your stuff. Then I was they were provided by goggle and was a little confused. But this thread cleared that up.

Personally I'd leave them where they are. For old timers here, we just passed over them but for folks that are searching for information, they will see them. I mean people linked off the stuff you had at the bottom of the page before right? So people do look down there. 8)

Jamie

3. Dori

Dori Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok...so have to say this. Don't know if anyone else has this problem or if it's just me and my screwy computer. But...I have one little problem with the adds...really it's any page and any add...these stupid pop ups keep screwing things up. I have pop up blocker and it does well..but by blocking em...it fades my screen..don't know another way to put it but you know when you click on something else...then you have to click back on the screen your looking at to make the mouse or keyboard work on that particular page? Ok...I know I sound like a bumbling idiot...but here's the problem. Every new page I look at...pop up's try and come up...but it's blocking them...so when I'm trying to scroll with my mouse roller thingy (the roller between the buttons..which I love cause I don't have to click the bar and pull it down) doesn't register till I click on the page...so I randomly click wherever my mouse is...use to it was safe to use the bottom of the page to do this...but sadly..no more. So I have to look and think on something I use to be able to do at random..and I CAN'T!!!

Ok...I know this was dumb...and I'm an idiot...but does anyone else have this problem? :roll:

4. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How 'bout clicking the top of the page...the title bar?

5. Dori

Dori Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cause I have to THINK about that...

*sigh* I know..I'm just lazy!!

6. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Awright...you deserve this... :whip:

:D

7. Dori

Dori Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Woohoo...Now I get a spanking from Michael? Woohhhooo....Ok...How many moderators are left? ummmm Klaw :roll: and uhhh Sparkey! Goin through them all... :bootyshake:

Thanks babe...another? :wink:

8. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure it'd be the same thrill coming from me, Dori......

But next time you're at BBG I''ll let Dany give you a spanking, OK??
    :whip:

Karan

9. Dori

Dori Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    this just gets better and better.....Thanks Karan!! :lol:

10. Mikey

Mikey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, next time we meet up I can offer my spanking services :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice