ABC

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Mikey, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Mikey

Mikey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The main differance between showing bombs in Iraq and a Saving Private Ryan is that one is news and the other is a movie.

I have always said that the remote and the radio turn dial is made to change stations, but some people just don't understand that.

Here is the new name for ABC:(A)nother (B)oring (C)hannel. Thankfully there is still FOX.

2. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mikey,

I agreed with this statement and carried the conversation to the next level.....had the radical right wing not been given a mandate by the masses to force feed everyone THIER moral values, there wouldn't be anyone clamping down on who gets to see what on TV.

Then the conversation went to the next level when Jaime & Liz linked into my statement about what Bush & Falwell plan to do this term.

Then Liz took the conversation to another level when she raised the specific issue of abolishing abortion, which is what BOTH intend to try to do through the appointment of federal judges this term.

To comment on what Liz said...I agree that if abortion becomes illegal, the folks hooked on welfare will NOT use any form of birth control any more than they do already and they will simply start poping out new babies every year cause they can't get a abortion. Then the tax payers will have to foot the bill for all those babies that will be born as a result.

I don't see the radical right, "morally correct" stepping in to adopt all those babies so they will be drawing benefits of some sort. At some point maybe the government will pay for sterilization an perhaps make it mandatory...dunno....but intially, the taxpayers will get hit with the bill.

Michelle

3. Mikey

Mikey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wasn't :(

4. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For anyone who is interested, this is the group that bombarded the FCC with emails, letters, calls to complain about Saving Private Ryan. As you will see at the site, there are 2 FCC officials who are clearly in the back pocket of this group.

http://www.afa.net/

The bible thumpers have NO intentions of going away....they are organized and on the attack!

Michelle

5. GolfHo

GolfHo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Boots/Michelle! Long time no chat! (btw Michelle: GO BLUE!)

Mikey – I’ve got to side with Michelle on this one. Yes, I’m the anti-Bush (in politics only :D ) and I’m a bit worried about the direction this country could take with the possible appointment of 3 Supreme Court judges.

I also realize I live in a democracy and the puritan/conservative values of this country resonated loud and clear a few weeks ago. And if that’s who we are I can live with that.

However, on its own merit Saving Private Ryan should have been show without fear of fines and/or licensing threats. To your point Mikey, this has already been show twice, why the fear now? The first indication that we’re taking a step backwards? It won’t happen all at once.

This is quite possibly the best war movie ever made, I was almost in tears when I saw this at the theatre and it still puts a lump in my throat every time I view it. Is it fair to hide the horrors of war from the citizenry but allow them to flip the channel and watch Nip/Tuck, to not only see blood and guts but witness nudity and heavy sexual innuendo? (not knocking the show, I’m a huge fan). There are no lessons learned from Nip/Tuck, but a movie like SPR sends a message to the core.

It was canceled in my market as well and I sent off several emails detailing my ire. Yeah I thought about Janet and the Super Bowl, but wondered if the reasoning for the cancellation was the Fallujah offensive was still under way and it was just bad timing: don’t bring the horrors of war into the living room while our troops are dying.

I broke out the DVD and watched it with my father and afterwards thanked him for his service in WW II. The deeds of the noblest profession must not be forgotten or misunderstood.

6. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hola Tony!

Been missin your input sumthin aweful.....Andy's too.....

It's gonna get scary when Bush starts making his judicial appointments for sure. These folks are appointed for life an they are gonna rock the very foundation of this country in ways never before seen. I'm betting that if he actually gets the folks he wants...they will attempt to tamper (meaning change it in some way, not just interpret it differently) with the constitution at some point.....I think it's only a matter of time.

Michelle

7. Mikey

Mikey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It was good hearing from you Tony, hope to see you here on the board more. BTW are you going to try to make it in May of 05?

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Hey Tony, good to see you around again, I owe you an email (Andy too). Hey check out the new avatar:
    <---------- :lol:

9. shoreladie

shoreladie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    W/B Tony ..... And I love Nip Tuck :!: :!:

10. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Amazing....only ABC can refuse to show Saving Private Ryan and then get caught with their pants down by their intro to Monday Night Football. What a bunch of morons. :lol:

Let's face it, the FCC is a joke! Not too long ago they would have been lucky to have gotten 10 complaints. Now with the laziness of filing a digital complaint (via e-mail), they have received millions. People file complaints having never seen or heard what they are complaining about. Sheeps led to slaughter.

It's easy to blame one political party over this but as I recall all of this censorship crap was pushed to the forefront by one particular "blue" senator's/ex-Vice President's wife. Does the name Tipper Gore ring a bell to you folks?

Yes, it was messed up that they didn't air the movie. But it was their right to do so just as it is my right to not watch any of their terrible programming any other night (with very few exceptions). It's better to watch the movie on DVD anyways.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice