A Ruby at the New Taj Mahal

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Oct 10, 2007.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last night the trouble and I, along with a China and his trouble, went to the the new Taj Mahal, not the one in Marcado 28, the one on Avenidad del Sol, for a ruby.

Lexicon:
    Trouble = trouble and strife = wife.
    China= china plate = mate = friend.
    Ruby = Ruby Murray = curry (which makes no sense at all, but just is).

Welcome to the world of Cockney Rhyming Slang. When my wife and her sister really get going, I can't understand a word.

Anyhow, the official verdict from my English better half is that while not up to the standards of a proper London curry, it was quite passible, unlike the miserable meal we had at the Marcado 28 location last year.

The owner, Mr. Kang, was on premises and we had a really good meal, personally overseen by him, with all the appropriate side dishes, including an off-menu serving of Bombay Potatoes, cooked up by request, and an excellent riata to sooth the heat off the tongue. Papadoms were plentiful, the sauces were good and the nans were authentic. As of yet, there is no beer or booze license, so be forwarned of that one negative.

One of the features at the new location is a glass enclosed booth in which the tandoor is located. Eventually you'll be able to watch as the tandooris and breads are made. Some parts have yet to arrive and it wasn't fully operational. The restaurant itself is nicely decorated and the service was terrific.

So if all the folks from Old Blighty have been missing a good Ruby, there's now a place to try.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Thanks for that.

I tried them at the old location too and it was awful, maybe it's time to try them again.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I enjoyed my one an only meal at the last location. The place was empty but the food was fine, not quite up to my standards, but close enough. We will definitely try the new location.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Had some delivered the other night, it was far better than our previous experience at the old place. I think this could become a regular occurence.

The owner himself delivered it and said that we should have said it was for an English person when we ordered, as he makes it English style if asked (also Mexican and American style). He called back about 30 minutes later to see how we enjoyed the meal.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We just went to Taj Mahal for dinner. The place was pretty empty (it's Wednesday). But the decor and ambiance are lovely. The samosas were quite good. The curry I got was great. We pretty much wiped our plates clean. And at the end they gave us a coupon for 10% off our next meal.

I would have been happier of it hadn't been so empty. But the food was good. One thing is that they don't have a liquor license yet, and so are not serving beer or anything yet. Hopefully it won't take 2 years and $50,000 usd for them to get a liquor license...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice