A POPULAR SCAM

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Nov 1, 2009.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    These two sound like petty criminals to me. They might be wanted in the US, but it might not be for something that the US would bother to send agents down here for. (The FBI comes here often to get serious criminals that are apprehended here.)

I would put money on these two not being in the good with INM, they sound too dysfunctional to wade through a nightmare of paperwork.

If someone had their names, photos and knew where they lived then INM could be called to make sure their papers are in order. Not that I'm condoning turning in suspected illegal immigrants...but INM would certainly treat them better than the criminal injustice system here.

2. SCMcons

SCMcons Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was approached by the guy with the shaved head on Thursday while near the American Express office.Approached me and asked if I was American. Replied that I was just like the three or four other times he had approached me. Story this time was he had been robbed while at the hospital needed money until his parents came and brought him money. Said I couldn't help him he started muttering.

3. rodman4085

rodman4085 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the heads up on these folks

We will be visiting your fine city next week, wandering some of the aforementioned areas, thanks for the scam alert, and photo.....
    Looking forward to 9 days of fun in the sun!:xyxthumbs:

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This guy makes his living by taking advantage of your decency with a sad story, almost totally fabricated, and presented with a degree of acting skill that could land him a part in a play. Recently, there have been some developments which, while unfortunate in themselves, have offered him the opportunity to try out a new story, and get people to reach deeper into their pockets than before. He's suffered an injury to the middle finger of his right had which nearly resulted in the severance of the tip of his finger. For lack of medical attention, he will probably lose this bit of finger, if not more, as the tip is now mostly detached, yet still connected to the finger. How this happened is a subject for conjecture.

He complains of poor medical attention, and bills he can't pay, plus a need for more attention, and lodging (an old theme). He approached me twice in one day, once near the Hotel Handel, on Tulum, then that evening at the Plaza de Las Americas. The first time, I listened to his story, marveling at his ability to spin a tale, appear credible, etc. He's got all the traits necessary to any good con artist. Living the life he does, I'm sure he's subject to more than the normal share of unfortunate events, including this injury. But, he persists in making his way through life in this way, no doubt finding it far easier than landing, and holding, a job.

5. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

On the other hand: Who would be stupid enough to hire him..?

My response to these lowlifes are to copy their story, right in their face. Seems to stun them for a few mins and then they just take off :)

The other day the bald one(not the one in the photo) was thrown out of Plaza La Americas as he was making his moves inside the mall...

I really hope they get deported somehow as they are just pestering people, both locals and visitors on a daily basis.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Until they get arrested they won't get deported.

7. SCMcons

SCMcons Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hadn't posted this since I had already posted about the guy with the shaved head. About a week ago a women approached me in the Walmart parking lot, started with the same question "Are you American?". I didn't have the time or the energy to deal with this again so I gave a dumb stare and shook my head. Her next question was did "I speak Spanish?" Again dumb stare, shook my head and spoke about the five or six words I know in Polish. She walked off muttering saying you're no good to me and you're in f---ing trouble here. I don't know if she is the same women who works with the guy whose picture is posted.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  8. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, I know that.

Its just a late "X-mas wish" I guess :)

I have called the cops a couple of times and been hit with the standard "enviaremos una patrulla"... You think they ever showed? :icon_surprised:

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Seen him?

Has anybody seen these folks, recently? I haven't, and my neighborhood was their favorite area to work- Chedraui at Coba, and Walmart, Centro.

There is just the slightest chance that the authorities actually picked these people up, because at about the same time you were calling, Rawkus, I filed a written complaint with the tourist police, and the department of tourism. They told me, like they told you, that they would look for them.

Working the same places all the time as they did should have made it pretty easy to find them, if anyone was looking....

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice