A POPULAR SCAM

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Nov 1, 2009.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V, only saw the woman in the dark, but the guy is definitely older than 32 (probably 40) and has a lot of tattoos. He was using the name "Mike" a few years back and I think it might even be a real name.

2. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wonder if it was the same guy that approached me near the bus depot. I was at a cambio and he waited until I was done at the window, then approached me with his sob story that he just came from Chicago and was staying with some relatives and needed money to make a phone call.......yada yada yada:schlafen004:. I gave him a few pesos, not enough to do anything with, and told him to leave me alone.

3. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, this happened to my friends as well. My hubby told him it was a scam and then we saw this couple a couple of days later. When questioned, they said they didn't have the money to return to my friend. This happened outside Walmart.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Owing to the response I've gotten from the authorities when this activity was called to their attention, I'm guessing there is a specific law they feel is being violated by this pair (in addition to any personal offense they took at what is going on.)

It seems to me they will need good physical descriptions of each of the subjects, or a timely tip about where the two are- to which they can respond, immediately- from someone who has the pair in sight. Obviously, the authorities will also need witness statements as to what the two have been up to, to complete the investigation, and detain them. Anyone providing a tip can be expected to also be prepared to give a written statement.

As always in life, personal decisions are required about how much responsibility to take in this situation. I felt these two are damaging the reputation of Mexico, and Cancun in particular, by suggesting to perhaps hundreds of visitors, over time, that Cancun is a dangerous place, in which bad things can happen to ordinary people. (I have felt personally offended that so many decent people are being played for chumps by these two: I watched as a friend of mine handed over 100 pesos, thinking he was doing a good deed.)

The authorities have said they've started looking for the man, as of today, but my feeling is that they will need more help to close the case. In addition to the well timed phone call, I could imagine a digital photo of the two in action, taken surreptitiously, would also help by allowing the police to recognize them when they see them, and perhaps to provide evidence in the case.

5. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Thanks for the numbers :)

I would love to know why they decided to pursue these a-holes now, considering they have been doing this for quite a while :icon_confused:

Maybe they finally "hit" the wrong(right in our case!) person?

Not a day too soon if they can be thrown in jail/deported.

Isnt this "Mike" dude wanted in U.S. for running a methlab or similar..?

Saw him yesterday at VW, next to Plaza LasAmericas.

6. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would be very surprised if they actually did anything to these guys. The guy Mike robbed our apartment years back and was caught coming out another neighbour's window with a DVD player in hand. They hauled him to jail (no papers, no passport, no FM3, no tourist visa, rumoured to be a wanted criminal in the US) and he was out in a couple of days asking to be allowed back in to the apartment in the complex where we lived. He was hauled back to jail again that day and again was let out a couple days later. That was almost six years ago, I can't imagine much has changed.

I guess we can always hope, right?

7. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CancunCanuck: Sad but true, thats the melody in this country all too often :(

Well, let me just keep my fingers crossed that he goes for a swim and gets swept away... Far far away :daveandmo:

8. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As Susan mentioned, I see these two all the time in the area of Tulum, Las Palapas, and Yaxchilan. I'd offer to try to get a photo of them, but I'm back in the U.S. for the holidays right now.

This is what I can remember about the woman, although I haven't paid real close attention: She is blonde to dark blonde, shoulder length hair or shorter, medium height but a little on the tall side of average (5' 6"?), thin to average weight, hard to tell her age because of what I think drugs are doing to her looks but I'd say early 30s. She's starting to get that sunken cheek look from meth/crack. To me, she looks a bit more "cracked out" than the guy. I've seen her several times wearing a cowboy hat. She's often in a sundress. They both speak with a strong southern (U.S.) accent (not sure if that's part of the act, or a genuine accent). They are often together, but if you see one of them, look around, the other one is usually not far away, working another part of the street.

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks, C.G., for the extra details about the lady involved. A digital photo would be nice, if someone had the opp; a phone tip to the authorities, while they are "in the act," would be even better.

As far as these people having been picked up in the past, and released, it may only represent the difference between police action, and the response of the procurador to the info supplied by the police. I don't know details of how the Mex legal system is set up, but my guess is the initial action is followed by an investigation by the procurador, who then decides if they have enough evidence to charge the suspect.

To get the job done in this case, I have no doubt it will require sworn witness statements from people who've been approached by these two, to build a case.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They are from Picayune, Mississippi.

My vote also goes to crack addiction.

Cancun Gringa and I sure know how to spot them. Ja Ja.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice