A POPULAR SCAM

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Nov 1, 2009.

1. th@bvg

th@bvg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: scam

This was the exact story i got at walmart on Monday afternoon. I did tell him that his story was all over the internet and that is when he shrugged and walked off.

2. woodspan

woodspan Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: scam

About two weeks ago the same guy approached my GF and I outside Wal-Mart. Same story and all. My GF is Mexican and was leary, but I being the American sap handed the guy $20.00. I found out via this forum I had been had. I told her this morning about it and ironically she mentioned she saw the same guy at Wal-Mart again.

Oh well........I guess it cost me $20.00 to learn my lesson.

3. Laura Mapchick

Laura Mapchick Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When Perry was updating the downtown Cancun map last year, he got hit up with a similar story. He believed him, so the guy must have been really good, but he didn't believe him completely, knew it could be a scam.
    It was a guy that looked really beat up and dirty.
    Perry bought him a hotdog from a cart, then went and got him a toothbrush/toothpaste and some of those wipes, told him to clean up and try to get a job :) But, didn't ever give him cash.

4. woodspan

woodspan Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was waiting at Wal-Mart for my girlfriend today. She drove up and said she saw the same guy that hussled us walking around looking for more victims. We drove around that parking lot looking for him but he was gone.

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Anybody seen any trace of this pair, in the last month?

6. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V, CancunGringa and I see the pair that look like crack addicts on a regular basis. They are often on Yaxchilan and Tulum.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Saw them last week across the street from Walmart.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There may, in fact, be a law against this sort of thing, in Mexico. The authorities have expressed interest in trying to do something about it.

I'd say the guy is about 32 YOA, 180 cm, 74 kg, balding, with short cropped black hair. Speaks English with native, north american accent.

The first time I saw him, he was with the girl, but I paid no attention to her, and he was doing all the talking.

There is no reference to her in what was submitted to the police. Those who have seen her, how would you describe her?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The authorities would like an immediate report, if he (and she, if the report is fleshed out, a little more: see the post, above) should happen to be seen. Cell phones make this possible, and easy to do.

The head of Direccion Desarrollo Turistico for the city is Enrique Zarata, at 887-3379. (Although not police, a call to him would get the job done, as he is keenly interested in this situation, and would get the police moving.)

The head of the Policia Turistica is Alejandro Solorzano, at 885-2277.

Putting these names and numbers into your cell phones, now, would prepare you, should you wish to assist the police in any way.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A few weeks ago, after this thread started, I was with friends at El Padrino's on Tulum, next to Chedraui. The same couple that I posted about to start this thread, walked up to our table, started their spiel and stopped dead in their tracks. The guy looked at Bundy and said "hey, you are the guy who looks like my brother and you helped us out a few weeks ago." Well, Bundy was the one mentioned in my post starting the thread.

He made a little small talk with us, was very pleasant, wished us all well, and headed into the internet cafe next door.

We all had a good laugh and then a good pizza.

Small world.

And the guy mentioned from Plaza Hollywood I guarantee is the same guy who approached me in Plaza Las Palmas a block or two down the street.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice