A POPULAR SCAM

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Nov 1, 2009.

1. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This has happened three times to us in the Yaxilan, some sad looking guy asks for 10 or 20 pesos so they can make a phone call to their parents who will send them some money, first time we gave 10 pesos, second time we knew what was up so told them to do one, third time was a lady pulling the same trick. Both look like crack heads.

2. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Similar things happen here in Playa. Middle aged American woman (not looking in the best of health) staying at a hostel in Cancun, lost her passport, money, got drunk at the club last night, needs the 38 pesos for the bus ticket back to Cancun.

I didn't have any spare change though, so I gave her a Dr. Pepper -- and for me, that's a big deal, as Dr. P is one of my most prized possessions here, but she reeked of alcohol so bad I couldn't stand to talk with her any longer.

Saw her again three weeks later in the same place, but she steered clear of our path...

Panhandling in the US: doesn't really bother me.
    Panhandling in Mexico: doesn't really bother me.
    Panhandling in Mexico being a foreigner: really rubs me the wrong way.

3. grubermexx

grubermexx Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    same dude

this guy was "working" the walmart (avenida xcaret) parking lot last night.... stopped me with a DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH in front of applebees.

listened to his pitch.... told him he had stopped me before and please stop wasting my time in the future....

dont give them anything.....

jw

4. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had the "I need to make a phone call back to the states" guy twice. The last time, I pulled out my cell and asked him what the number was so I could call for him.. He mumbled and walked away

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm feeling left out...either I don't get out much or I must not look like an easy mark...because I've never had any of these bozos come up to me in Cancun. Perhaps my husband look menacing...maybe that's it...haha!

When I go to the US and see a 20-something white guy asking for money at a stoplight I get upset. I want to say "you are male and white in the richest country in the world...quit asking for money and get a job." Of course a lot of those guys are mentally ill, I know that. But still it irks me to see someone who has so many built-in advantages (white and male) begging for money.

6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Begging is a lot more honest.

What's annoying here is you're being lied to (conned) out of your money, with a direct (and dishonest) appeal to your very natural impulse to aid another who is in distress. You later feel doubly cheated.

Anybody thought of any more snappy comebacks? "F" you, Jack, just doesn't seem original enough to be any fun.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are right, they are scam artists. Snappy comebacks are much better than they deserve.

If you turn them into the police they will, most likely, end up deported from Mexico. INM automatically gets called whenever a foreigner is released from jail here.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Turning them in

I'd certainly be willing to do it, but I'm not sure how I would go about it. I suppose I could claim to know they were here illegally, but I don't know that, in actuality. I'm not even sure this sort of panhandling is illegal!

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,197 / 14
    Yeah I remember I was there one of the times (thanks for telling me afterwards you'd seen her before :wink: ). I gave her 50 pesos and pointed to the phone (about 30 yds away) and said show me you're being honest here. She left and walked right past it. I guess I'm a sucker for scams like this, always a nigly feeling they might just be telling the truth.

Hey Sam, tell us all about the blood donation story - that was a weird one.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    CONTINUED...

October 9, 11 A.M.

Chedraui, corner Tulum/Coba- tall, slim, 32 YOA man, balding, short-cropped black hair, approaches older, American gentleman, who is passing by, at a brisk walk.

"Sir," "Sir," he called. "Do you speak English?"

The older gentleman answered, "Would you still want my money, if I didn't?"

A confused look spread across the young man's face, followed by one of dejection as the true significance of the reply sank in-

After which, he slowly shuffled away....

Your turn!

V.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice