A POPULAR SCAM

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Nov 1, 2009.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Today, while in Papeleria Cancun I was approached by a couple and the lady asked if I spoke English. When I said "yes" the man said, "Thank God, we need help and don't know what to do."

Oddly enough this same couple approached me and two nameless friends a few months ago in the parking lot of Comercial Mexicana across from the bus station.

The very believable story was that they were staying in a hostel and had their luggage stolen and lost their passports and drivers licenses. They had contacted their relatives in their hometown in Picayune, MS who were sending them documentation of ID's or whatever so that they could get their passports reissued. They knew you could get a one year passport in the case of a lost or stolen one but they had no proof of who they were, copies of their passports or any other form of ID. They were seeking enough money to pay for one night in their hostel as they expected the docs and a Western Union the next day or so.

We are all 3 skeptical people but this was so believable that while I was reaching into my car for money, and while my lady friend was opening her purse, my gentleman (yeah, right-jeje) friend pulled $200 out of his pocket and gave it to them. They were beyond thankful. We had engaged in some friendly, athough meaningless conversation.

To this day I believed we had simply done a good deed for some folks who had a real problem.

So, back to today, when I replied "yes" and got the same retort from the man, I thought "oh s---, we got taken before." I said "hey, aren't you from Picayune, MS?" The guy kept asking me how I knew and I kept asing, are you. Finally I said that they ran the same game on me and my friends before. He asked when and I said 3 or months ago. He asked where and I told him. He and the lady looked at each other, turned and left the store.

We all get people hitting us up for money but this one seemed so authentic first time around. I actually have had another guy approach me 3 times, asking if I spoke English. When I replied it was obvious to me that he was either a crack head or a crank head so I told him I had to go and had no money and that was it. Once was at Plaza Las Palmas, once outside of La Europea and once in the plaza where Elektra, Super Carnes, Blockbuster and Office Max are. All within a couple of blocks of each other. Have not seen him in a while.

So be aware of strangers bearing sad stories. I am not a jerk about this stuff and actually went out of my way this week to give half my Rollo de Pavo from Costco to the little lady who sells gum, etc by the light at OXXO sort of behind Costco on Yaxchilan. She is a regular recipient of my business and generousity, as is anybody in a wheelchair.

Ciao amigos

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    NOT ONLY HERE

Friday night, couple, first words out of their mouths, "Do you speak English?" Sad story, my friend handed over 100 pesos, as the story, this time, did not require such a large sum to have a happy ending.

When I lived in China, there was a very respectable looking, university professor type, who hung out in one of the most famous temples. Similar sad story to the one you heard, T.J., spoken with a British accent, claiming to be from Singapore. On another visit, two years later, I ran into the same man, same story, same temple!

Slickest ever worked on me was in the U.S. At home, doorbell rings, attractive, well dressed young lady at the door. Cab driver is waiting for her to return with his cab fare. She said she got there by cab only to discover she'd left her money at home, and those she'd come to see weren't in, as it turned out, so she couldn't ask them. Needed $20 to pay the cab driver, which I quickly handed over, so attractive and convincing was the young lady. I almost immediately got to thinking, went quickly outside to see if I could see the "cab". No cab, no girl! Never saw girl again, but read about the scam in the newspaper a few months later, as a warning to potential victims. It was too late, for me, I'd already been had!

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This has happened to me several times!!

First 2 times was at Wal mart(Centro) - A skinny, bald guy, sporting a tiny mustache, baggy pants and scars all over his face approached me.

He "fell asleep on the bus" and everything was stolen.

He needed to get to Merida to meet up with his parents...

I didn't have any money at that time(if I had, I would never give it to him anyways..) so he mumbled and walked away.

2 weeks later, the same guy approached me, with the exact same story... "Nope, I'm not giving you sh*t, sorry".

Then, a 3rd time(!!) the same dude approached me at VW next to Plaza Las Americas, and this time I wanted to see his reaction so I countered with HIS exact story, before he was able to tell me his :)

He was stunned... He just stared and then left. Haven't seen him since.

The second last time was in Parque Palapas... A women, obviously not "fully functional"(scars, lacking teeth etc.) approached me since "all her belongings got stolen" and she needs enough money for one night "in the cheapest hostel".... "No way lady! Get out of here!" She took off, cursing.

The latest incident(my 5th...) was on Tulum, close to Padrino`s.

This was when my mom and brother were here to visit us... :(

A older gentleman who kind of looked like a sailor, approached us, begging for cash since "his bank blocked hie credit card when he crossed the border"... This time I started laughing out of reflex :lol:

I have seen him almost daily on Tulum... He walks with a cane, has a white "sailor beard" and wears a cap. He also had glasses and the guy is fairly tall.

Keep your eyes open.

From what Ive heard, its a whole bunch who all work together, scamming both locals and tourists.

I wish they'd grab them and deport their assess out of here.

4. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Yes I have been duped by the same couple in Walmart- but asking for 50 pesos to buy a phone card to call home re a westren union transfer. They looked desperate were very grateful etc- but I did sense it was not for real. Then a month later they came to me again ............I just looked at them and said "I don't think so" and walked away. I feel foolish and angry that they "got" me when there are so many people in this town that really need help.
    Tracey

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same thing happened to me a few months ago. The guy who tried to pull it on me was someone known to me, known to me as he had robbed our apartment of years ago when we first arrived in Cancun. At the time he was caught, thrown in jail and of course released. He's got dark hair and lots of tattoos and word is that he is a wanted man in the US for having a meth lab. His name is Mike if anyone cares for a confrontation with an unstable con man. He's been pulling this "poor tourist" scam for a while, I've heard reports from others.

(Steve, hope it's ok to post a link, here's my story of the scam....)

http://www.cancuncanuck.com/2009/06/reality-vs-fantasy-burger-king-tale.html

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Love your fantasy!

Who hasn't wished they'd have the maxie we see in characters on TV who, with a few words, so befuddle another that it renders them incapable of response. But, few of us has the presence of mind, and the quick imagination to pull it off, even if we had no nerves at all in our body!

By the way, did you see my update on the Olympic Pool your son was keen on dipping a toe in?

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've never been approached by a couple, but shortly after I arrived here, a guy gave me his sob story at the wal-mart bus stop, I told him I didn't believe him and he got a little irritated, but not much, and walked off.

About two years ago I was approached by a late 40's looking lady with dyed black hair who gave the story almost exactly as T.J. just wrote, although I think she said she was from Texas.... I questioned her for a few minutes and decided that she didn't seem very truthful, and declined to help her.

Then around 4 months back while I was washing my car on the street she appeared again and started in on her story.... this time I interrupted her and told her "it didn't work before and it wont work this time" and she smiled, said "ok", and walked off.....

So apparently, this is just their full time job, trying to find the "suckers" to "help them".

edit: Just read the comments on CancunCanuck's blog.. I'm betting that this woman is the same one that was partnered with this "mike" character although I don't know that I've ever dealt with him.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    THE SNAPPY COMEBACK

I'm awfully glad T.J. has brought this to our attention: now, we can work on a few "smart ass" comments, like CancunCanuck wished she'd had at the ready.

Anybody got any suggestions?

How about this one, for openers? "Ah, gee, I'm awfully sorry to hear that you're having a run of bad luck like that, 'cause I was planning on scamming you!"

9. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "luckily for you I'm with the F.B.I.!!!"

will be what comes out of my mouth if I see them again :p

10. Bonez

Bonez Addict Registered Member

The true birthplace of the greatest sport on froze
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    offer to tske them to the nearest police station or immigration. See just how genuinely fast they can run then!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice