A Canadian Rant "I am Canadian"

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by jeff & deb, Feb 3, 2012.

1. matchandahalf

matchandahalf Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try buying a house in Vancouver! $1.4M for a tear-down bungalow...ouch! My 2-bedroom condo 5 minutes from downtown doubled in value between 2003 and 2008 to $700K. It's just NUTS here and we don't even have any oil! :icon_confused:

2. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0

I think you hit the nail on the head here, keep us broke and in debt so we have to work our asses off. My company gave me a bonus this year for all my hard work and dedication.. the government took over 39% of it, so I guess they got a bonus also

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  3. Tenderloven

Tenderloven Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guess we will drink it all better at TTR

4. jeff & deb

Ratings:
    +50 / 0

I'll drink to that Cheers :beer4:

5. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Alison Redford, our provincial premier in Alberta, saw fit to bring in legislation allowing the police to take your vehicle and suspend your drivers licence if your blood alcohol level is as low as .05%.

I know a lot of jurisdictions have similar laws. But here are the stats.

20 out of 100 fatality traffic accidents involve alcohol.

Of those 20, 16 involve a blood alcohol level above .11%.

The majority involve a blood alcohol level .12% to .22%. Interestingly the stats drop off considerably beyond .22%, presumably because the individuals are aware that they are "too drunk to drive".

So, statistically only 4 out of 100 fatal traffic accidents involve blood alcohol levels of .05% or less. And that is not to say that this had a direct correlation to the cause of the accident.

It seems to me that:

1) Governments are bending to special interest groups in passing legislation of this sort.

2) They are targeting the wrong people! If you want to reduce fatalities involving alcohol, increase the penalties for levels above .12%.

3) Even then you are only dealing with less than 16 out of 100 fatalities. Shouldn't we be looking at the causes for the other 80% not involving alcohol?

This legislation has a severe impact on the restaurant industry and causes a lot of worry amongst people that would like to have a glass of wine or beer or two with friends over dinner.

It's typical of how governments operate these days. Restrict freedoms to win the support of special interest groups.

We have an election coming up in Alberta.

There is a .05% chance I will be voting for the Conservatives this time around.

6. jeff & deb

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    I'm thinking the same way.

7. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    Allison is sure no King Raplh. He wouldn't do that because, well, he wouldn't be able to drive anymore!

8. Waste

Waste Moderator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Passed the same law in Ontario... I feel like I'm gambling almost every day now. I know a few people fighting it as the Federal tolerance is .08

Not sure if you misquoted your stats or your summary. If it's your summary, the numbers make the law even more ridiculous...

"20 out of 100 fatality traffic accidents involve alcohol.

Of those 20, 16 involve a blood alcohol level above .11%."

Which means 4 of every 100 fatal accidents involve an alcohol level below .11%.

Of those four, how many are above .08 and how many are below .08, but above .05?

And does it really matter? Realistically, should an accident with a blood level of .05 be counted as a alcohol related accident? My professional opinion as someone with a BAL well over .05 most days of the week is no, the accident probably would of happened anyway.

9. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sounds like the buyer may have been acting as a proxy for someone with a large amount of cash they needed to get rid of....

Surely a mortgage company/building society wouldn't have been impressed with this deal....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice