50 Cancun Tips for First Timers

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Thought I'd start a "tips for first timers" thread and see how many we can get. It should become a useful resource, probably be stickied, and one we can point first timers to in future.

Rules:
    a) Only one tip per post, but you can make as many posts with extra tips as you like. Try to keep them short and sweet.
    b) Lets just keep it to tips. No off topic tangents or commenting on other peoples tips.
    c) Please keep it general to Cancun, not about specific hotels.
    d) Please only post if you have already visited Cancun. You dont need to be a multi-repeater but you do need to be speaking from experience.

Lets see if we can get to 50!

2. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get out of the hotel zone and go downtown to check out some local restaurants and bars.

3. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Save money by using buses instead of taxis. The buses run 24/7 every few minutes and only cost 6.5 pesos anywhere in the hotel zone. Just make sure you know where your hotel is to get off at.

4. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Use the ATM's rather than travelers checks to get the best exchange rate and least inconvenience. But, please check on foreign withdrawal charges (if any) with your bank first.

5. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bring lots of SUNSCREEN! :sunny:

(it's expensive to buy it in Cancun)

6. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    go to Parque de las Palapas on a Friday or Saturday night, or Sunday afternoon.

7. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try a michelada

8. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    eat something you either couldn't get or wouldn't try back home!

9. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    learn some spanish. . .if you already speak spanish, learn some Maya (you'll have to do this, obviously, IN Cancun. . .more than likely your local juco doesn't offer night courses in Maya :) )

10. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if you wear prescription glasses, bring an extra pair, if you've got them. . .otherwise, don't get in the surf the first day after drin. . . .well. . .i've heard that sometimes the waves can knock your glasses off and you'll never find them. IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU. . . .I've heard you can go to Wal-Mart and get a new pair for around sixty or seventy bucks that will do for the week. . . .I've heard. . .it's just a rumor. . .I don't know for sure. . .it's never happened to me. . .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice