4 Guys with LOTS of questions, first timers!!

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Kiva, May 21, 2008.

1. Kiva

Kiva Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guys, we are going from June 25th to July 2nd and I have a bunch of questions for you veterans....I probably won't remember them all right now but I'll come back in and post once something hits me. I've been browsing the forums from time to time but if I repeat a question please forgive me, I know that can be annoying.

First one, I believe marijuana is illegal in Mexico too but is it frowned upon everywhere or can you get away with it on the beach, downtown, etc.

2nd question, will we be able to book a booze cruise once we get to the hotel or do they fill up in advance?

3rd question, do they have any places we can rent scooters for a day and check out the local scene....if yes, does anyone know what the going rate for something like that is?

4th question, my father likes Cuban cigars, will they be available in town or at the hotel...I know I can't bring any back but I'd like to enjoy one while I am there.

5th question, I read some stuff about attire for clubs and whatnot, I understand that people want to look sharp and well dressed...but are pants and dress shoes really the norm for clubs downtown? After drinking all day, possibly getting too much sun, the last thing I'd want to do is throw on long pants and a polo...BUT you gotta sacrifice sometimes I know!!

6th question, can you negotiate with shops downtown? I wanted to get t-shirts and other little souvenirs and I know in some places you can talk down prices...is this the case here?

7th question, how much does tipping help with your stay? I believe in tipping well, I was planning to throw all of our bartenders at least $20-40 right when we get in, and I know the other guys in my group will too, just to start things off on the right foot. I also heard if you tip the front desk well when you check in you might get a better room (better location maybe?), and service would be better or quicker I should say. Anyone have an opinion on that?

I think that does it for now, we are looking forward to this trip like you can't imagine...we are all childhood friends going on our first real vacation with each other...should be a crazy time!! Thanks in advance to any responses, I'll check in to see if anyone replies and with more questions if I remember!!

2. footballchick58

footballchick58 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey there

Marijuana is Illegal there, you can get it on the beach but it is crap not even worth smoking

You can bargin at the market & usually get it for half of what they are asking for. If you don't like the price walk away they will chase you & you will get it for the price you want & maybe even lower.

Dressing for the club most of the men get away with shorts & sandals & a nice top.
    The ladies like to dress hotter tyou knwo where dresses you can't get away with at clubs in your own home town, as a female of 2 wardrobes vacation clothing & my home clothing.

Tipping helps, however at the front desk if you are not happy with your room you can always ask for another room.
    I personally like to be around the sexy/party pool, I always ask for a room in that area & I usually get it. I like being on the main level that way I can leave my back door open & come & go as I please.
    Others have complained of breakins, however I have been very fortunate not to have had that happen to me.

as far as your other questions go I am not sure on the cigars or scooters

Hope you have a great time, wish I was there now

Cheers
    Karen

3. SheikYerboottie

SheikYerboottie Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Look for Roberto on the beach---he sells the 5-to-a-box, #4 Churchill style, Cuban cigars:Coheba, Monte Cristo, and Romeo and Julietta. $20 USD a box. I heard the vendors @ Isla were asking $70 USD for the same thing! I don't smoke tobacco, but these make wonderful gifts for all your cigar afficinado friends @ home!

4. W&K

W&K Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    Yes....you can rent scooters...not sure of the rate though...you can also rent golf carts if you take a trip to the island.
    Cuban cigars are available throughout Cancun....but buy from a reputable cigar shop or you may get a counterfeit....
    There are different booze cruises...they can be booked at the towel hut through Sergio usually spaces available....one is a daytime trip to Isla Mujares..the other is a night cruise and ends up at Carlos and Charlies....there is also the cancuncare cruise...check the sticky....

Hope this helps....

5. Kiva

Kiva Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You guys rule, thanks so much for giving me info..I feel like such a newbie but whatever, can't hurt to ask right!? As far as cuban cigars go, can you bring them back to the states...I thought they were illegal? Is there a way around that? I saw the cancuncare cruise, I was just wondering about the one through the Hotel.

We just paid up in full today so it is official, we can't wait to relax and have a week away from work. Someone make the weeks go by faster!!

6. Angibaby

Angibaby Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We went on the night one bought through Sergio. It was a blast and I think it is done every Friday. That is worth the money I paid. We will be on that one this Friday again!

We didnt rent scooters but did rent the golf cart on the island and that was a nice day relaxing and touring the Island. I think they cost about 40 per day.

I dont smoke pot or cigars so I cant say a thing about that stuff.

You can negotiate with the shops. Downtown is usually cheaper than the party area for gifts and trinkets. My experience is that if something is too expensive at one shop and they dont try to bargain with you move on, they will either chase you down and negitiate OR a shop a few doors down will have the EXACT item for less or they will bargain with you. I kid you not...we saw this kind of cute toy for my youngest there. $10 US. I wasnt spending that on it. They went down to 5 bucks I still moved on. I saw it later down the street for like 2 or 3 bucks. Just move on if you dont like the price.

7. SheikYerboottie

SheikYerboottie Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Im sure that all custom and immigration agents are gonna love this but just take your chances with the Cubans. You can opt to take them out of the boxes, remove the bands and IF you do get checked, just say they are hand rolled Mexican variety :bandit: :cdncat: If your that paranoid and opt to remove the bands, you might want to pitch the nice wood boxes that they are in because they say "Habana". Just take your chance and play dumb in the instance they do check you, be friendly and make friends quick with all fellow travelers and constibles! :bigwave:
    I have a zero tolerance of operating any form of motor vehicles south of the border, particularly motorcycles and scooters. They drive crazy all over down there and the streets can be cobblestone and very choppy,, it's harder with all the booze you've been consuming for the week, and if you wreck their stuff, you stay there and pay (and pay) untill all parties involved are satisfied. No thanks!!!

8. Paulanddebbie

Paulanddebbie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There was a guy ***mod edit*** trying to sell weed,coke and hookers to people with police standing 30 feet away and he was very open about it. Just say no and come home safe and sound. Plenty of other things to keep you entertained in Cancun

9. Max32

Max32 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah - I think we came across him last year - he asked us if we were British and then chased us down the street saying - ''You want charlie?? No?? You want weed then??'' It was hialrious - running AWAY from a drug dealer - I thought the buyers were supposed to chase after the dealers!!

Seriously - I have heard that you can get drugs or whatever you want however a lot of the time as soon as they hand over the stuff - the cops catch you. The dealers entrap you!! NOT GOOD. I agree - there are much better things to keep you occupied in Cancun!!

10. Waste

Waste Moderator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First - This site doesn't tolerate drug questions and normally this thread would be locked or deleted, but I decided to keep open so that your other questions would be answered. I did remove all details on where and how to buy.

Second - Love the questions. It goes from an

All Out Reckless Party:
    Question 1: Where to buy drugs
    Question 2: All you can drink booze party
    Question 3: Renting a motor vehicle

To Kings of Cancun:
    Question 4: Cuban cigars
    Question 5: The leisure suit
    Question 7: Big tipping

...someone should think of writing a script...

IMO - leave question 6 out :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice