22 Immigration Agents Detained in Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Mar 9, 2007.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This happened last night but is finally getting some press now.

What I understand is that AFI was patrolling, they saw some Chinese people hiding. They investigated and it led to Immigration at the Cancun airport. Instead of determining anything about who did what at the scene they just arrested all the INM agents who were working, leaving the place unmanned. The other team of INM agents had to send a crew to cover the night shift. I'm sure it was a big mess.

Immigration at the airport is now completely under-manned and over-worked. Tourists coming in tomorrow will probably have horrible lines in Immigration. As of this afternoon there were agents who hadn't slept in more than 24 hours who were still working. Tomorrow will be a big mess because the people under arrest are supposed to be working then.

My husband had just gone off duty a few hours before the raid, so he is fine and free. They may want a statement from him later, but he worked in a different office yesterday and never saw any of what happened.

Here's a story in Spanish, have not seen a story in English yet:
    http://www.milenio.com/index.php/2007/03/09/48582/

2. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd apply for a job with them, but I'd be in jail withing a week. I'm just too weak to have a job like that.

I'd be giving five year visas to all the good looking ladies. Ten year visas if 36C's or larger.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good looking and provocatively dressed women get their papers, and everything else, examined more closely than other women. If you have on a push-up bra and provocative clothing and something is amiss with your papers you are more likely to have trouble with Immigration than someone else. It's a running joke there that women think they can get away with something they by being good looking, when the opposite is the case.

And as bad as things are there they do get trained and the training is logical (not everyone is a corrupted idiot). And there are some controls, the maximum you can grant a tourist is 180 days. The system won't let you give them more time.

INM is going to have to hire new agents just to cover the shifts when the new Terminal 3 opens. And if some of the current guys fall, which seems likely given what I understand, they will have to hire even more people.

But they won't hire foreigners unless you've become a naturalized Mexican. One of the problems I have with many of the people who work there is that they have not traveled, have not been immigrants themselves and basically have no idea what immigration really means to immigrants.

4. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    ain't this grand...

:-|

5. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just in time for you to go. :roll:

Let's hope that's the only bad thing that happens. (I'd say let's hope that's the only messed up thing that happens, but come on now, that will be you, messed up.... ) :roll: okay, bad joke

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't fret, if your plane lands when there aren't any others it won't be bad. If it lands when there are lots of others then practice patience.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A more in-depth story, also in Spanish:
    http://www.yucatan.com.mx/noticia.asp?cx=9$0924000000$3503517&f=20070309

8. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm landing at 7:15pm, so I'm hoping things are less busy than earlier in the day.

We shall see.... :)

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad to hear your hubby is OK through all of that. When I saw it was you who posted the thread the first thing I thought was that I hoped he didnt get dragged down with all the others.

It just sucks for all the other people still working given how busy this time of year must be with all the Spring Break crowds showing up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice