1st timer trip report - probably long

Discussion in 'Temptation Resort Reviews' started by SPBLovers, Mar 27, 2013.

1. SPBLovers

SPBLovers Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We spent 4 days at TTR last week and thought we would share our thoughts. For background, either together or as singles before we met, we have traveled quite a bit. We have experience at All Inclusives in 5 countries, dozens of hotels ranging from $20 per night guest houses in s.e. Asia to 5 stars and business class. Combined, we've probably stayed in over 200 hotels. We also are in the tourism business, and have experience on the other end of reviews which aren't always fair or accurate.

The resort, while certainly not luxurious or ultra modern, had a very well kept feel. We were especially pleased by the room, which was in really top shape, looking like it's been renovated in the last couple of years. I had read about hard mattresses, but this couldn't be more wrong. There was a soft pillow pad top that actually frightened me at first that it would be too soft. Fears of hard pillows (a pet peeve of mine) were also washed away, when we realized that there was a second set of pillows in the closet. The tiled in shower was big enough to have a meeting. The chase lounge chair was a great touch. The flat screen TV says the room is more modern than I expected. Everything worked as it should, and the decor was pleasant and modern. It's not 5* or Vegas strip type room, but much nicer than we expected, which is always a great feeling. Want some nitpicky complaints? ... 1) The air conditioning worked a little too good. Even on low, the room got literally freezing in just few minutes. It occurred to me after I checked out to maybe try it on high to see if they just had the high/low backwards. The problem was that we had room facing street, so we couldn't open sliding door when we wanted to sleep as it was too noisy. So found myself getting up a few times a night to turn the air on or off.
    2) There were only 2 shallow drawers. We packed a lot for this trip, including some theme costumes, etc. It would have been nice to take stuff out of our bags.
    3) OK, this irks me more than anything. $10 for one hour of internet, or $15 for 24 hours were the only options. Aside from the obvious feeling that it's 2013 and internet should be included in price, those prices are obscene. The resort we stayed at our following 4 nights used the same company to provide internet, and had the same order screens, etc. Their prices were $5 per hour, $10 per day or $30 for 5 days. On the bright side, internet worked fine from our room.

The grounds don't really scream resort. It's more like what you would expect for a condo development on a beach. The pools were fine, and well kept. They didn't have that modern affinity pool look, but not too important. There wasn't much green at the resort, mostly pavement.

The bars and clubs are all kind of jokes if you saw them without the people. There's really nothing too them, nothing that would make you think anything special about the resort, but it's the people that make the place.

We didn't eat at either of the restaurants that require reservation. We mostly ate at the two buffets, and we were pleased with them. All Inclusive resort food is basically cafetaria food, and this was no exception. There was some good, some bad. There was plenty of variety, and we never went hungry. Our last night, we ate at the sea food restaurant and absolutely loved it. Everything was delicious, and the service wonderful. We can't recommend this place enough.

The staff really seemed great. The bar staff worked at a frenetic pace and the only time I can remember waiting more than 1 -2 minutes for a drink is on Paty'Os right after the event at New Shoes breaks up. To my regret, I probably concentrated my tips too much on the bar staff and not enough for the workers at the buffets, etc.

It was not unexpected, but the beach is a let down. It's very narrow, doesn't have really any of the beauty that most of the resorts in Cancun have. We took a day trip out to Isla Mujarres and fell in love with the beach there. TTR works with what they have. It's clean, well organized, etc. It's just not a great spot considering what's nearby.

The sexy pool was a riot and really along with Paty'O at night, the focal point of the entire resort.

The people were wonderful. Since we are a mixed age couple, and were really picking through reports trying to understand the age range, I'll break down what our experience was. I don't remember seeing Spring Breakers, but there were a lot of singles from UK there that probably didn't fit in with the TTR theme. But they were having fun, and not causing any problems. These of course are only anecdotal to our week.

Under 30: 20%
    31 - 40: 25%
    41-50: 30
    51+: 25%

It was a little bit Cliquey. The singles formed one group, the younger couples formed another, and the older couples had their group or groups. It was easy to meet people, and I don't remember meeting a single person I didn't like.

We had a ton of fun, met some great people, and have some great stories and memories. Honestly, it took us a few days to get into the spirit. It takes a certain mentality, and we are a bit cautious. The people from Cancun Care were great, and hopefully we'll be able to stay in touch with a lot of them.

Will we go back? We both want to. We were angry at ourselves that we had to go to another resort after our 4 nights were finished. But that said, there's also a lot of places in the world to see, and a lot of experiences to have.

Some special thanks to the information posted here. We ended up cancelling our Expedia reservations and rebooking on Alpharooms and saving 20% (though this is a non-refundable rate). And the transfers from USA Transfer were great. We arrived on separate flights, so while waiting, I asked the official taxi stand what a car would cost to restort. They wanted $64 one way, while USA does round trip for $55.

We'll be happy to answer any questions.

Chuck & Ira

2. Lee and Gail

Lee and Gail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very fair review. Consistent with our thoughts from our first trip last year and we're back again in 2 weeks.

3. regdog

regdog Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    VERY nice TR...well done guys...Thanks for sharing!!

4. Jess N Paul

Jess N Paul I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +281 / 0
    Great review for your first time. I'd say pretty accurate and as you can see, the place itself isn't GREAT, however, the people make it FANTABULOUS!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice