13 hour trip report

Discussion in 'Temptation Resort Reviews' started by breezesfan, Dec 20, 2012.

1. breezesfan

breezesfan Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Probably is going on record as the smallest report ever. My wife and arrived at TTR around 9 Pm Dec 19 and by 10:30 Am had already left !!!
    Our room was in the 4000 block since we had asked for peace and quiet.
    Around 10:30 we went to Patty Os for a hamburger, stayed an hour or so
    and then wandered around looking at different areas.

We wanted to look at the quiet pool and started that way. There is a little "tunnel" connecting the two areas. Its steps on one side and a series of little ramps on the other. It had either just rained or someone has spilled a drink. We had never encountered this before, but since there was no handrail, we figured it couldn't be THAT bad. The lighting was pretty dim.

Well, it was that bad !!! My wife fell and broke her hand (wrist) !!! She had felt Something "give" in her hand, so she knew it was probably pretty serious

When up to the office and they summonded a "medical person". He showed up very quickly but told us we had to call in the Hotel Doctor. Was going to cost at least $120. I really just wanted to be sure it was really fractured, so I agreed. Few minutes later the doctor called an told the staff members that he would meet us at the hospital.

We got a taxi to take us to the Americare hospital about 5 miles away. filled in the paper work and the attendant told us "we don't take that insurance" We have United Health Care and were taken back. Went back to the examination room and the doctor told us he really didn't need an xray, the hand was broken, but he could set it, but we would be responsible for the charges. NO THANKS!!!

We when back to the hotel. Pain became really bad and after absolutely no help from the office We checked out and headed off to Cancun Airport. One look at my wife's hand and the Delta rep told Us "I can have you on the next plane to Atlanta and there will be no extra charge" !!! Got back to Atlanta at 5 Pm and went to Gwinnett Medical Center in Lawrencille.

Three hours later my wifes hand was set and a cast apllied. Probably have to have surgery, but we will know next week.

We gave the staff a detailed report of what happend, but Management
    NEVER contacted us the next morning. Not one "Are you OK" or "is there anything we can do to help". Not one pain pill or ice pack was offered.

To be honest we were very happy and relieved to leave the Place, but didn't have a clue as to what awaited us at the airport. THANK GOD FOR DELTA!!!

I can understand if someone suffers a heart attack or seizure, but my wife was hurt on hotel propery, and TTR wasn't concerned at all. Really the
    language barrier was REAL PROBLEM !!!!! Seemed the taxi driver taking us to the hospital was the most concernned.

TTR is full of steps and these really strange little ramps, but very few handrails.

At BGN in Jamiaca, management would check on their guests for even a jellyfish sting, Not SO with TTR, If something happens to you, you are on your own and make sure you bring your credit card.

Delta is the hero of this story !!!!!

2. Sultryfox

Sultryfox Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Wow, that is too bad :-( Hope your wife is healing well and there is no permanent damage! I know the language barrier is a problem, and I am thankful we didn't have any medical emergencies during our visits there - were always kind of worried about that. Similar thing happened to my brother in Greece and he had to leave his friends mid-trip and fly home to get proper medical treatment after a vespa accident (that wasn't his fault). Hope you got a refund for the hotel!!

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Sorry to hear of the mishap and the shortened trip. There are often reports of trips and falls at Temptation and I'm not sure why the hotel don't do more to minimise the chances.

Does your insurance cover International travel? If not I would suggest getting one that does or taking out a separate International policy to last the length of your stay (they are usually inexpensive). I don't know why, but visitors from the US rarely take separate travel insurance.

Hotel doctors are expensive for what they do, I think that's the same anywhere though. Consultations for emergency cases at the best hospitals in Cancun cost about 500 pesos, around $40 USD. Treatment is going to be extra. I'm no expert but to set a broken wrist without X-ray doesn't sound right to me - but if that is medically ok then it wont have cost much for a plaster cast.

My wife broke her leg back in Feb of this year. An ambulance trip, an operation under general anesthetic and overnight stay was around $2000 USD. I wonder how much that would have cost if she was a tourist in the US ?

The hospitals I'd recommend for folks traveling to Cancun in case of emergency, are 1st Galenia, and 2nd Hospiten. Must say I havent heard of Americare Hospital, maybe it was Amerimed? If so I'd put that third on my list.

All 3 are probably around $15 by taxi to get there from Temptation, so if anyone has an accident and thinks they require hospital treatment I would recommend visiting the ER over the hotel doctor.

4. hawtspot

hawtspot Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is just disappointing to hear about TTR, you think a great place would help out in emergent situations

5. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2
    That is such a bummer. Sorry to hear that.

I have read a few posts about staff being unconcerned, probably afraid of being sued if they admit liabilty.

The ramps are either for their service carts or wheel chairs.The should put some antislip tiles on the slops for sure, or even as you sujest some hand rails.

Girls be extra careful with you high heels

6. Trish

Trish I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 0
    So sorry you had to go through that. The ramps are so the staff can transport carts about. I am always very careful going through that little tunnel bit to the quiet pool and make sure I use the steps. I did nearly fall around the sexy pool going to the toilet last trip where it was wet from people getting out.

Funny, the language barrier only seems to be a problem when you've got a problem. Front desk understood perfect English when we were explaining our room requirements at check in.

I make sure every trip we have adequate insurance in case anything like this happens. It costs me about £80 a go, but it is worth it to ensure we're covered if we need medical treatment abroad.

7. breezesfan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve is correct, I looked at the invoice, it was Amerimed. They told us it was the closest to TTR. Back in Atlanta they had to put my wife "under" to "set" the wirst, by that time it had really started to look bad. My wife is a natural Red Head, They bruise
    much much more so than dark haired people. Hey, they have lots of "positive" qualities also!! LOL

Whole thing took around 2 hours. only 30-45 minutes to get checkd in Everyone assumed we were a couple of nuts dessed in our shorts and t-shirts and it was 40 degrees outside.

Pretty sure the bill is going to quite high. (3k-4k). but our insurance (UHC) should pay for 90% It was my wifes right hand and its going to be out of service for 6 weeks or so. Just realized her 370Z has a manual Transmission !!! We have a appointent to see an Ortho next week. Might have to have surgery !!! The ER doctor here agreed with Steve in that the MD in Cancun was going to do anything without an xray

Funny thing is the ER waiting room in Lawrenceville was full of Mexicans (LOL). The ER folks were amazed at the Amerimed ER, Hell, we treat their folks all the time, maybe they should consider that down there.

My wife is very proud of being a 28 year teacher, so she kind of got pissed when the Ameimed worker, threw her UHC card back and said "we don't take this here". Well thats a lie !! SHE GOT REALLY PISSED!!!

Another amazing fact is how hard it is to get any type of Pain Medicine in Cancun. They have all of these drugs for sale at any store, but try to get a loratab!!!!

Surprisng my wife is ready to go back !!!! TTR is much nicer than any of the Jamaican resorts we have stayed. It was a lot shorter flight and rates were almost half of what we paid in Jamica. I doubt we will get a room in the 4000 block, just because it was so hard to get to. We didn't get to go into the Ocean, but she did stick her good hand in it !!!! LOL

We had booked thru Expedia (they were totally useless) so we will see if we get a refund. We kept a copy of the hospital charges and filled out all of the paperwork
    on leaving. I assume we should get a $800 refund.

She feels much better this morning and we were joking about the whole adventure. Good thing I wan't topless when I fell, no telling what else might have broke! Also she noticed a much higher level of quality of the boob jobs at TTR versus Jamaica. we never knew Walmart sold breast Agumentions until we went to Breezes In Jamaica.
    Nice to be able to laugh again.

Thanks everyone for all of the concerns. I suppose we will go on round #2 next April.

8. mg65

mg65 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Wow, sorry to hear that. Glad everyone is ok. How much did they want you to pay up front at the hospital in Cancun ? I have heard third hand rumors it can be a lot, but I dont actually know what the cost would be.

9. LionsNzebras

LionsNzebras I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0
    I stayed at the Barcelo Maya with my family and Niece about 5 years back.

My niece was playing on a plastic frog, bumped her face right near the left eye socket.

We took her to the hospital and she ended up getting 2 stitches. They would not take my insurance so paid the 2800 bucks by visa.
    I submitted to my healthcare insurance when I got back and they paid it all. The only thing they told me to do next time was to call them when I had an incident outside the country.

Gota love Canadian Healthcare and Blue cross coverage.

The hotel was super fantastic, had a paramedic and 2 life guards there in about 2 minutes. They took us to the front of the hotel and got us a special cab.
    Everyone was super nice and friendly with zero issues.

It does suck that TTR does not recognize that they need hand rails and perhaps to change the tile on the steps to make it less slippery.

Get what you can back, chalk it all up to experience and book your next trip!!

10. breezesfan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't have any idea. They just told us we were responsible for the charges and if we had a credit card !!! The hospital charged us $116 USD for the visit. My wife really got pissed, I was just ready to go !!!! Might have been all of those Mexican police with those Uzis right outside the hospital.

We are writing an email to Delta to tell them how grateful we are. After that we are going to write a letter to Temptations and Expedia!!! Really, you break your hand at their resort and they don't even come by to check on you !!! Rough towels and weak drinks are one thing, this is a little bit different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice