10k end of Jan

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by matkirk, Dec 30, 2011.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Absolutely not to rain on your parade, Mat, but why a 10K, rather than going for a new personal best in the 5K, for example?

Long distance runners are just putting together multiples of the same distances at almost the same speed once you get beyond 5K, when you look closely at the times of the intervals.

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's a big difference between 5k and 10k V (about 5k :wink3:) - it's about pushing yourself to that next level rather than just shaving time off the 5k.

I can run 5k, however I don't know if I can run 10k so it's like heading into the unknown.

Basically, if I do the 5k race I know I will complete it, whatever the time - heading out for the 10k is new territory completely, a new level of stamina and fitness, a new physical and mental challenge.

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Mat: The new challenge is always great. Its an incredible feeling to overcome a new hurdle.

Might have to skip the 10 K run though, as I doubt my feet will even pass the 5 K without hurting like hell.

Have my brother an mom visiting all the way from home, and the bad thing(from that perspective) is that the run is on a Sunday... The only day that the wifey has off.

If we dont plan a stay in Tulum, then I might try to squeeze in at least the 5 K run.

4. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Good Luck all of you - I admire distance running but just cant get it on !

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi, Mat, this forum's readers may not be the best place to fish for runners, but you let me know when and where and I'll come out to cheer you on!

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    For anyone who might be interested, I believe this may be the event Mat's been talking about: they were taking inscriptions this AM for it.

Primera Carrera Unidos Por La Paz Cancun 2012, 5K and 10K, Sunday 29 January, at 7 AM. The race will start in front of the Municipal Palace on Av Tulum and make a circuit through Puerto Cancun, the HZ, and back (twice, for those doing 10K, as Mat has said he'd like to do).

It's an open event and will have classes for both men and women, as follows: "juvenil, libre, sub master, master, and veteranos" (these are age classes; for example, "veteransos" is for those 60 YOA and above). There will also be two shorter runs of 400, and 800 meters, for children.

You can enter for 200 pesos (50 pesos for children): Some of the better known places where you can subscribe are at KM zero (HZ), Sports City, and Club Casablanca.

With this early AM start, it should be nice and cool and a good opportunity to take a run, or have some fun watching others do it.

7. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Any idea if dogs are allowed on the 5K run?

Last time I wanted to run, the cost for a foreigner was slightly higher. Have you heard anything about that?

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Gee, Rawkus, aren't there any races for dogs?

OK, Mat, time to come clean: are you going to be there, to justify my being at the Municipal Palace at 7AM on a Sunday morning, or not?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  9. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haha :)

From what Ive seen before, people have brought their beloved four-legged guardians on the shorter distances.

The last one allowed them, as they told me it was more of a "Fun thing - run, walk, bring your dog etc."

Are you doing the 5K?

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm going to be doing the "watch Mat run the 10K", if he shows up; otherwise, I'm doing the "watch the 500, fittest women in Cancun" do whatever they decide to do!

The best specimens of feminine pulchritude in the city show up at kilometer zero at 7 AM, every day.

They'll all be there for the races, ready to run! I'll be there to let them know how much I appreciate their effort....

pulchritude - definition of pulchritude by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. (Our readers know what "pulchritude" means: I offer the reference for the the sake of emphasis, only.)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice