$100 Deposit Charge at check in?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by BoulderFun, Mar 30, 2011.

1. BoulderFun

BoulderFun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hey All- :) Has anyone had to pay a $100 deposit at check in for unforseen room damages? I noticed a review on TA today that mentioned it. First time I've heard of that? Is it new?

2. RiceAndBeans

RiceAndBeans Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i've never heard of it. dumb question though... what happens if you don't pay it? i mean, we've got our trip booked and paid for, and we're not expecting any extra charges (other than excursions), so if they try it with us, i'm putting up a fight. but seeing as how it's a whole other country down there, what does the law (HA! i know, good one) say? since you've already paid for your vacation, can/would they kick you out if you don't pay it? and aside from burning them on the forums, is there anything you can do?

3. Cali_desire_cpl

Cali_desire_cpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Most resorts, even here in the states are starting to put a $50 or $100 deposit hold on a credit card when checking in. They do this in Vegas, San Diego, Chicago and New York ( at least the resorts/hotels we stayed at in those cities). It is just like a cleaning deposit when someone signs up to rent/lease an apartment. Just make sure you put the deposit down on a credit card instead of cash. That way you have the backing of your credit card company if something shady happens.

4. legs2there

legs2there Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes I can understand the deposit... hey it is only $100 and if you don't wreck anything it isn't charged when you leave...and like Cali said if you give them your credit card it is protected if you have a dispute on the charge......

5. Bonez

Bonez Addict Registered Member

The true birthplace of the greatest sport on froze
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Unless someone swipes your data, as has happened in mexico occasionally, and you come home to a maxed out card!

6. Bart/Annette

Bart/Annette Life begins at 40!!! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +270 / 0
    You can pay the deposit in cash if you don't want to leave a credit card, however your refund will be in pesos. You can always spend that at the airport or for return transportation.

7. legs2there

legs2there Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

True... All the more reason to have one credit card in your possession at all times that has a very limited credit limit... for shady internet sites and deposits you are not so sure of...LOL...being in the accounting field I always cover all bases....

8. BoulderFun

BoulderFun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Thanks all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice