Where's THE BEST Dolphin Swim?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by TSGood, Apr 8, 2009.

1. TSGood

TSGood Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just 4 more days before arrive in Cancun!! We have a total of 5 kids coming with (ages 14, 15, and 8) Where is the best place that you suggest to do the dolphin swim. The friendliest staff, most actual dolphin contact, price .... etc. Thanks!! :D

2. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I really liked the Aquarium at the La Isla shopping center!! We did the dolphin swim there, pretty decent price, a lot of interaction with the dolphines, and they tape it so at the end you can either have your pic with the dolphin kissing you or a DVD of the entire time you were doing the event! Plus, its a short distance and in the hotel zone. 2 HUGE pools in the aqaurium and they did an amazing job! Just my person view................... its easier to see them swimming around and such also rather than in the ocean doing stuff!

3. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We did ours at Dolphin Discovery on Isla Mujeres and really enjoyed it. There's a link at the bottom of the page (Cancun Dolphin Swims) that will give you some info on the different programs and prices.

www.swim-dolphins-cancun.com/

The big difference would be that you would have to travel over to Isla Mujeres for Dolphin Discovery. They have different birds and such on display and last time we were there they brought out a sloth, which our son had his picture taken with. The encounters/swims are done in the sea in a penned in area. They also have a separate pen with sharks that you can check out from above (you don't get to swim with them... ha!). They too sell pictures and DVDs for a slightly elevated sum (not too bad though). But it's hard not to pay for them when you have come all that way. And honestly, how many times are you going to swim with dolphins unless you are a marine biologist or fisherman? But we have always bought them. Once when we swam and another time when our son & friend swam with them.

It would be more convenient as Jason said to do it at La Isla as it is in the Hotel Zone. Either way, I would make a reservation for whichever you decide. That way you won't have to wait for an opening. But if you do get the opportunity, make the trip over to Isla Mujeres for part of a day. Either via a tour or by taking one of the ferries. Here's a couple links regarding Isla Mujeres and how to get there by yourself if you choose to do so:

www.cancuncare.com/Isla_Mujeres/

www.cancuncare.com/Isla_Mujeres/directions.htm

Most of all enjoy your trip. I'm sure that you and the kids will have plenty to talk about when you return. Hope that you'll post a trip report when you return.

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dolphin Discovery on Isla Mujeres is the way to go. You are in the ocean in a very large enclosure. Once you see the dolphins jump, you realize that if they wanted to they could jump right over the floating boardwalks and be on their merry way. That they don't seems to indicate their satisfaction with their "jobs" and the obvious affection they have for their handlers speaks to that satisfaction as well.

You cannot duplicate the experience in the confines of a pool, no matter what size it is. The same photo and video setup exists, and you'll watch the video over and over again. We did it 5 years ago, and will do it again the next time our granddaughter is here, when she'll be old enough to appreciate it.

5. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Dolphin Discovery Royal Swim definately the best!!
    Tracey

6. TSGood

TSGood Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Everyone!! We are so getting so excited... 4 families, 14 ppl total, and I will DEFFINETLY post a report upon return :D Tonna

7. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Going to try and post a few pics that we took at Dolphin Discovery. You can click on them to look at a larger photo:

Here's a couple of the birds and sloths that I spoke of:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the dolphin swimming around with our son's group. Mind you when we went, we were in a group of four which was great... just us and another couple from the U.K.:

[​IMG]

And here's a picture of me giving Mundaca a kiss and Dawn getting a kiss from Mundaca:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You guys/gals are gonna have a blast. We had a party of 12 last time and it was fantastic. Look forward to your report when you get the chance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice