What's the best way to call home from Cancun??

Discussion in 'Golden Parnassus Forum' started by StaceyJerseyShoreGirl, Feb 2, 2011.

1. StaceyJerseyShoreGirl

StaceyJerseyShoreGirl Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    Hi everyone! I was wondering what was the best way to call home and receive calls from home while we are in Cancun. Last time was our 1st trip to Cancun, and I didn't even realize that our cell wouldn't work when we were down there. We are staying at the GP 5/21 to 5/28, and we are leaving our son with the Grandparents, so we definately need away to keep in contact with home (making calls and receiving calls). What do my experienced Cancun'ers here suggest?

I was thinking of either:
    1) Buying the international chip for my cell so that it works when I am down there
    2) Buying a prepaid internatinal cell phone just for the trip
    3) I was reading in one of the Trip Advisor forums that you can actually rent a cell phone from Cancun Valet for when we are down there

Help!! I welcome any comments or suggestions on this topic! Thank you my fellow GP'ers!

:aktion069:

- Stacey

2. lalcpc

lalcpc Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good question

I'm curious about others responses, but we're doing the exact same thing as you and called our cell carrier (Sprint) to ask. They actually turned on our phone to allow international calls and they said they have coverage in Cancun. Sounds like this function had to be enabled, and it may cost a bit to make a call of course. They also suggested to turn off the data function to save $. We plan to check the phone occasionally and call periodically to check on our son. I've also been considering an international calling card...

3. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    many people just get the sim card when they get down there. There IS free incoming so you can receive calls, just cant make them. Some carriers can call out though.

SKYPE is a way I keep in contact with everyone. It's free as long as you have internet..... and no one gets charged crazy rates. if the person you are calling has a webcam also you can see them! otherwise hearing their voice is just as good! :) Skype.com <~~ It's free!

4. StaceyJerseyShoreGirl

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    but GP doesn't have Wifi .... do they?

5. StaceyJerseyShoreGirl

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    Also, would I get the chip before I go on my trip, or get it when I am down there? which is the better way to go? thanks again! :eek:)

6. Country Cut

Country Cut Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Call your cell phone carrier.....Mine is AT&T who I believe will rip off your balls....opps did I just say that....but international is included in their plans for Mexico you just pay a higher rate per minute to use it......Usually about 59 cents per minute......we call everyday to check on our daughter and never had a problem. Your carrier can give you all the info you need on it.......That's if you can get one that you can understand.....lol

7. sexysadie

sexysadie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0
    I have verizon and we just called the last 2 times we went and set our phone up for international calls, we also have them temporarily suspend internet service because the cost is thru the roof for that service and even if u are not on the internet it is constantly running and you will be charged, My son usually stays with my mom and we have a set time we call around dinner and keep calls short they can add up about a dollar a minute I think it was, my son also has a cell phone so we talked by txt some nights too, the cost for txt's was cheaper, Hope this helps!!

8. HammieJ

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    GP has it, but i find it more peaceful and relaxing to check email at the great parnassus. i always skype in the open air lobby. its so beautiful. i think its like 6 bucks an hour.... u have to buy little pieces of paper with codes on them at the front desk at the Great.

GP has a " business center" but ive never used it so i wouldnt know.

9. HammieJ

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    hey babies!! so guess what! I'm smart! yes blondes really are smart sexy creatures!
    I have a virgin mobile phone. Not a crappy one.... its a blackberry. I love it. I pay 25 a month for service. NOW. I just checked the site..... I can "activate" international calling. To call mexico from here its only 5 cents a min. To call from mexico to here its only 15 cents a minute! I am sooooo activating it! Best thing is.... the cheapest phone is like 14 bucks. Buy the phone and like a 20 dollar calling card(you don't need to have a plan but for 25, you get 300 mins to use within a month, unlimited text, data, and web.
    I don't know why I didn't think of this last year! ahhh!! amazing! I'm a G$# Damn Genius! :)

10. unruly1

unruly1 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes they do, see my post

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice