What???

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by rdubnpk, Jan 20, 2012.

1. rdubnpk

rdubnpk Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    So, they sign pledges to not raise taxes on them, risk alienating an entire group of Americans (see 99%ers) to defend their inalienable low tax rights, all the time denying they are in their hip pockets with a straight face and then the Poster Child for the 1%ers, the leading candidate for the Republican presidential nod gets booed during the debate??? Just because he pays less in taxes as percentage of income than a lunch lady??? He is doing everything you guys are contantly saying is noble and good and the American way and he gets booed??? Balderdash!!!

2. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    Yup can't hate on Romney for being smart with his money.

3. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

Whoever says that Romney or anyone else in the "1%" doesn't pay as much in taxes as the lunch lady, doesn't know much about taxes. In the best case scenario Romney would be paying 15% on this capital gains. The 15% bracket ends at $34,500 for single lunch ladies and all other singles. When you add back the standard deduction and the exemption for one person, you get a gross income of $45,000. I guess Lunch Ladies make out pretty well in some areas.

I don't understand how the media gets so hung up on Romney's taxes and doesn't say a word about where Obama's almost $100 million in campaign contributions are coming from. If you think Romney is the puppet of the 1% then what is Obama? Is he the puppet of the .05%? Or maybe his money is coming from overseas. I'm sorry, but the American media is so out of touch with reality that they don't even make sense anymore. I know many think Fox is biased and it is, but what about CNN, MSNBC, and the most left wing of them all, the NY Times?

4. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    I wouldn't even think about campaign contributions, if there is one thing I have learned in recent weeks, it's that rules for contributions are at best weak. Watching the Daily Show and Colbert Report with Stephen Colbert's Super Pac, it's pretty obvious that there really are no rules for politicians. Obama is no worse than Romney, Gingrich etc. in that regard.

I don't feel bad that Romney only pays 15%, his money is managed well. But even if that lunch lady gets a lower effective rate because she makes so little I am pretty sure she would trade places with Mitt in a heartbeat.

5. rdubnpk

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    Apparently, someone out there is feeling bad about it! His lead in South Carolina is tanking and a melandering blow hard is creeping up big time!! And he's getting booed by those die hards (who undoubtedly have a great source for speed to keep them awake) interested enough to actually attend the debate????

6. Ben & Lisa

Ben & Lisa Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    At least Romney earned his money. Obama on the other hand is some how a multi millionaire despite never having any long term career besides a stint as a "Community Organizer" and a College Professor. Where do you figure his 10.5 million dollar net worth came from?

7. rdubnpk

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    There is a song in 'the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" sung by a politician who is trying to avoid addressing the continued existence of the whorehouse. The lyrics go something like " I like to dance a little side-step". If you read the replies to my original premise by my right wing brethren, I think that lyric describes those replies perfectly.

8. Ben & Lisa

Ben & Lisa Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Do you really want me to pick aprt the incoherent crap you posted? It isn't going to be hard...

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There's plenty of good reasons why Romney doesn't want to release his tax returns, one of which is it would reveal how much of his wealth he has stashed off shore.
    I suspect he's paying far less than the 15% he's spoken of, if some of his capital gains are sheltered. The hypothetical single lunch lady, on the otherhand, having only "earned" wages, has also been cumbered with social security taxes, in addition to her 15%, boosting her upfront tax burden to something over 22%, after which she's hit with state sales tax on many of her purchases.There are reasons why Warren Buffett says his secretary pays a larger percentage of her earnings in taxes than he does, and those reasons have been calculatedly written into the tax code.
    He may have "made" it, but he sure didn't "earn" it, and the tax code recognizes that with a beneficial tax rate on the money he's made, while it penalizes those who labor for wages.

Rick Santorum may yet take the Rep nomination, just because the moral sliminess of Newt will start to weigh, and the financial sliminess of Romney will dull his sheen.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  10. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Too bad that guy in New Jersey didn't feel ready to run. He struck me as the most impressive of the lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice