What do you check on the Customs form?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Feb 5, 2008.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you have an FM-3 and are entering Mexico are you supposed to check the Visitor block or the Mexico Resident block?

I am not saying which one I check normally but I always wonder if it is the right one.

Thanks

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think I check resident.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Resident, and when I go back to the States I tell them I'm visiting.

4. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always struggle with that too, since I truly do feel like I split my time and maintain a household in both Cancun and the U.S. Sometimes I think about what I have along with me in my baggage and which one makes the most sense based on what I'm carting along with me. ;-)

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gringa - That is what goes through my mind as well. The path of least resistance.

And I cannot believe I saw you twice in one week.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ, An FM3 is no-inmigrante by definition. You don't have to live here to have one. Having one allows you to live here. But you can have an FM3 and spend 2 days per year in Mexico. So having an FM3 can't dictate which box you check for Customs.

Now if you have an FM2 you really do have to live here to stay qualified to keep it, so you are a resident legally. But I'd bet money that Customs doesn't understand any of this stuff anyway...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice