Water will be cut for approx 10 hours tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by rawkus, Dec 2, 2009.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Check IF this will affect your area.

Here is the complete email:

"Estimados Asociados:

AGUAKAN y la Comisión Federal de Electricidad (CFE) informan a la comunidad que el próximo jueves 03 de diciembre se realizarán en Zona de Captación número 3, trabajos de mantenimiento en el sistema eléctrico de CFE, de las 07:00 am a las 17:00 horas.

En consecuencia, el suministro de agua potable se verá afectado en las siguientes zonas de la ciudad: Zona Hotelera, Moon Palace, Bonfil, central de abastos, Villas Magna, Lagos del Sol, condominios Punta Sam, Playa Mujeres e Isla Mujeres, SM 1 hasta la 21, de la 35 a la 52, 55, 56, 57, Regiones 95, de la 225 a la 237, 240, 247, 248 y de la 500 a la 529,

AGUAKAN recomienda a los habitantes de estas zonas almacenar agua durante los días previos para cubrir sus necesidades, llenando sus tinacos y haciendo uso del agua moderadamente durante el mismo día 03 de diciembre.

Para cualquier información adicional, AGUAKAN recuerda a sus clientes que pueden llamar a la línea gratuita 01-800 AGUAKAN o la Comisión Federal de Electricidad (CFE) al 073.

AGUAKAN y CFE agradecen mucho la comprensión de la ciudadanía por las molestias ocasionadas.

Atentamente,

Asociación de Hoteles de Cancún
    "

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    THANKS!

Thank you, Rawkus, for this important and timely information. I just HATE having the water cut off without knowing about it ahead of time. So, thanks, again!

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Color me dumb but Aguakan doesn't send water full time anyway. If they did life would be quite different here.

They usually send water to our area from 8 pm until about midnight. So will we be affected or not? I don't get it.

4. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @V: No worries :)

@RG: Have no idea how it works for you guys - I just copied the email straight off, hoping it would help at least some from a nasty surprise.

We never have any problems with water supply around here - might be different for some areas? I have a friend whose water tank receives water at around 3pm daily... Problem for her is that shes at work at that time, and thus can not turn her tap to fill up her tank... She has been arguing with them for nearly 3 years about this issue... Poor girl :(

Now I have the chance to fill up some water and have an early shower before its shut off in our area. Surprised they dont advertise more about it, or not...

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @rawkus - Why doesn't your friend's system just accept water automatically? Our tinaco and cistern fill automatically and when full the input shuts off the incoming water flow automatically. We don't have to do anything at all.

6. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yikes. This little dry spell notwithstanding, there are places in Cancun that don't have water 24 hours a day? I am amazed (and a little spoiled, I guess). That would drive me nuts. I think my roof would collapse under the weight of all the tenacos I would stuff up there. And then not to have on-demand fill when there is water is mind boggling.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ah-ha! Mixz1, you are spoiled, now we know why you love Cancun so much. Finally figured it out. Haha!

Does the city send good water pressure to you in the HZ? The water pressure we get from them is less than half the psi we got in the US (according to hubby who seems to think he understands plumbing things, though I don't actually believe he does).

We increase our water pressure with a hydro-pneumatic system, so we've got US-style shower heads and faucets.

In 6 years we've only run out of water once or twice here. Between our tinaco and our cistern we've got plenty for the dishwasher, washing machine and all our other uses.

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After a rushed consultation with the powers that am, it seems that our community cistern stores enough water for three days use by the 18 houses in our condo, and since 9 are summer homes and unoccupied at the moment we're in good shape to weather the drought.

Water pressure is lousy here, although what arrives at the cistern seems to have a good push to it, probably around 40 lbs worth. The way our systems work here is that each house has an 1100 litre tenaco on the roof with at least one float switch to signal the cistern's pump to refill the individual tenaco. Those of us with pressure pumps have a second float to turn on the pump when the pressure dome falls below a certain level.

Most homes of a certain age in Cancun suffer from atherosclerosis brought about by the high mineral content of the water. If I turn off my pump certain areas of the house are marginally okay and others have a diminished flow. We periodically burn out the pipes with acid to break up the calcifications. We also have a softening system on the roof. We have replaced a significant number of feet of pipe, which in a concrete house is not fun.

Directly after putting in our system, a submersible pump that sits in the tenaco and pressurizes a 40 gallon pressure dome with an air bladder above the water, almost every pipe joint in the house began to leak. I spent a week with a torch and spool of solder getting that squared away. I like skin peeling showers, so our pumping system delivers a steady 68 psi. I have to restrict at the kitchen sink because there's too much back splash.
    :D

9. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @RG: They have installed something that supposedly will make it fill automatically, and shut off when full.. So far no luck for her: 2 times the water has flooded her roof and damaged the entire house...

We have 24 hour water - have never had a problem(so far..).

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Mixz1 - Yes, 40psi is what hubby says the city delivers at. We had something like 80psi from the city in CO, I think. Our system delivers slightly less than 80 now I think. I don't much care so long as the shower pounds on me and makes me forget about life.

@rawkus - Sounds like her flotador thingy isn't installed properly. It should shut the water off when it reaches the desired level. It's a simple device and costs just a few dollars. It's incredible how often people don't install those things properly. Half my neighbors have water pouring off their roofs when their tinacos get full. It's just good old fashioned incompetence. Regardless, the problem is hers, not Aguakan's, she has no reason to bother Aguakan with this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice