Water Pressure

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by matkirk, Dec 13, 2010.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone got any experience in adding a booster pump to their system?

My cold water is fine, but the hot water pressure is non existent - can I just add a pump onto the hot water line when or something?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

2. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You would normally pressurize you whole system, other wise you'll end up with unbalanced pressure again.

One pump, air tank and pressure switch is all that you need.

3. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for that.

Any idea of the cost involved? Rough estimate. It's only a little 2 up 2 down place, so I don't need a huge system.

4. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure what it would cost.

The switch is about 600 pesos, the air/pressure tanks vary in price according to size - more showers washers etc the larger tank needs to be and then there's the actual pump. Pumps come in all types and prices. Make a drawing of what you currently have and then what you want and go to Cehisa on Palenque. They sell all that stuff at what I thought was good prices. Or Boxito on Tulum maybe even check Home Depot.

If you do all that you could throw on a UV water purifier to and no longer have to deal with the water delivery people.

Good luck

5. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks again!

The UV systems look pretty cool, but I think I'd constantly be worrying that the bloody thing was still working and I was downing mouthfulls of tinaco water....:ernaehrung005:

6. TwoWeeker

TwoWeeker Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't forget to consider that most nonpressurized systems in Mexico are "open", in that there is usually a stand pipe connected to the system open to the atmosphere. That will have to be sealed with a cap. I believe the reason the systems are installed this way is because there is no pressure release valve installed on the water heater to relieve pressure if the thermostat sticks and the water turns to steam causing the tank to explode. If you pressurize your system, don't forget to install a relief valve into the water heater. All the components to pressurize the system are available at Home Depot. They have pressure tanks with the pump and pressure switch already mounted. Your problem with weak pressure in the hot lines may be due to buildup of lime scale in the tank and the lines leading into and out of the hot water tank. I know on my non pressurized system I have to clean the lines into and out of the tank about twice a year. I have mine connected with unions so they are easy to remove, then I pour in muratic acid to dissolve the lime. I have also found that two years is about the life of a hot water heater due to the heavy liming caused by the water in Cancun.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Before getting into pumps and equipment, you might want to do a "gunk" check. We've had this happen in the past, the hot water pressure goes way down, the plumber comes and cleans out 5 kgs of "gunk" from the hot water heater (sorry for the technical term, haha). With all the minerals in the water here, it blocks the flow from the hot water tank.

We're in the same position right now, I have to run around to get wet in the shower, no hot water pressure at all and it's too darned cold for a cold shower! Will be calling the plomero today. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice