Watching the Atlantic

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Aug 29, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Things have hotted up there, recently, and now the storms are being churned out one after the other. Two named storms are currently out there, Earle and Danielle. Invest 97L, the latest, is mid Atlantic, at the moment: a single computer model shows it moving in this general direction, the others all show it heading a bit more to the north, but the season is clearly upon us now and the Atlantic bears keeping an eye on.

2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Fiona

Our little storm, Invest 97L, now has a name, and a charming name it is, Fiona.

All but one computer model has it turning to the north, but model BAMD has it hitting the Yucatan Peninsula, a week from now.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,252 / 14
  4. v8eyedoc

v8eyedoc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Don't worry about Earl............Up in Massachusetts - WE ARE....WORRIED.!! As the track of Earl IS going to brush right by us up here.... Forecast is for heavy rains and winds of possibly upto 60 MPH (100 KPH)............

Ken

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Bamd, bamm

The computer model, BAMD, continues to show Fiona heading for the Yucatan: it has now been joined by the model BAMM in making the prediction that Fiona will turn west.

The majority of models continue to show Fiona turning to the north, as Danielle and Earl have done.

And yet another storm is now forming in the midAtlantic: they are rolling out of Africa now one after the other, just like freight cars. I don't think I've seen such a consistent pattern since I started watching this phenomenon, last year.

Go to this website and switch on the "computer models" if you'd be curious to see what I'm talking about- Saint Louis, MO Weather / Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping

Almost all of the models show this new storm- as yet unnamed- as tracking west, in our general direction.

Last year, Cuba got hit by a succession of hurricanes: could this turn out to be our lucky year?

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    People here don't get worried until storms are at least to Cuba... and even then historically they'll move North before getting here... with a few notable exceptions.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Gaston

Our newest little storm, unnamed even as recently as this AM, now has a name, not so charming but in keeping somehow with Fiona, it is Gaston.

Unlike Fiona, a majority of the computer models show it heading this way. The predictions are long range, and subject to many errors, but each new storm heading this way increases the likelihood of a visit.

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah.. let me know when it reaches Western Cuba :D

9. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I follow several hurricane pages on Facebook (I like the ones in Spanish as they tend to focus on Latin America and not just "Florida, watch out!". Search "hurricane" or "huracanes" and find a page you like, some are quite good. Hurricane Track is doing some decent coverage of Earl.

I'm not worried about what's out there for Cancun right now, nothing to fret about yet. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice