Warning

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by T.J., Mar 12, 2014.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TOURIST WARNING RE: YOUR $$$

Having lived in Cancun for almost 10 years I fund myself going fewer and fewer times to places that cater mainly to tourists.

Recenlty I posted a warning about a scam to get a more than double tip by a place in Playa del Carmen called Bip Bip, where the waiter disguised an added tip to the bill by circling the Total and the top of the circle even added some zigzagging to all but obliterate the fact that a tip had been added. All that was visible was the P in Propina

A couple of nights ago I ate with an out of town friend at a popular downtown tourist place called Gory Taco. It is on the pedestrian street (Tulipanes) that leads from the Burger King on Tulum that leads to Parque Las Palapas. This was a handwritten bill that listed the individual items ordered, then a tip. No numerical tip shown. But scribbled on the bill was something that translated to Service charge added of ten percent. Seeing this moved saved us a double tip but it cost the waiter. Service was excellent and worthy of 20%, yet he had to settle for 10%. It was odd that he would try to scam us as we were speaking the whole time in Spanish and he knew my friend wrote a Cancun travel guide and that I was a permanent resident in Mexico.

I encourage everyone to very carefully examine your checks in bars and restaurants when traveling here. These scams gives our beautiful Cancun and Riviera Maya area a bad reputation.

Come on down and enjoy our piece in paradise.

2. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2
    Happens every where , even in Canada.

3. Tc123123

Tc123123 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Also in the U.S. but thanks for the heads up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice