War on Drugs Revisited

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by rdubnpk, Sep 16, 2010.

1. rdubnpk

rdubnpk Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    Well, the "war on drugs" has, once again, proven to be a rip-roaring success. After the millions (billions) of dollars spent in the courts and on jails to keep us safe, drug use rose 9% over the past year. On the plus side, cocaine use has dropped, but certainly not due to lack of availability. I say we continue to pursue a policy which is doing us absolutely no good, achieving nothing, and costing us a bundle in times when the deficit is putting us all in the poor house!!! After the Iraq War, we should be use to it.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I've mentioned this before, that in my conversations with people I rarely find anyone even willing to consider a different approach; appalling close-mindedness, in my opinion, and no credit certainly to Americans who are supposed to be the most practical people in the world.

I thought when something doesn't work, or is too costly relative to benefit, you have to at least consider other options.

I'll be the first to admit that when I start to consider other options, I get bogged down in the details, but-

lots of people like to get high, at times (this has been true historically, and around the world);
    like anything else in life, it has to be managed, or it can be an impulse that can become destructive;
    we have more tools for managing it than ever before, as there are now a lot more drugs that have been developed and a lot more is known about how they work;
    some people will abuse them, to their harm and, at times, to the harm of others;
    making drugs available for recreational use through official, sanctioned channels would make them a lot less expensive, safer to use, and eliminate most of the criminal apparatus that now accompanies the "illegal" drug trade;
    various public health approaches could be applied to limit negative consequences to making drugs available, officially, including requirements for attending public health educational sessions as preliminary steps to gaining access.

Trying something different is worth the effort because of the immense and out of control criminal element the current approach generates, and makes possible;
    the current approach is not the only one available, and in fact has been with us just slightly longer than I am old;
    people use drugs in spite of the risk of imprisonment;
    it costs something in excess of $30,000 USD annually to house a federal prisoner (U.S. system) guilty of any drug related offense;
    something short of criminalization has worked, more or less well, with alcohol;
    there could be a better way discovered, if we applied ourselves to finding and trying one.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  3. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    I have a very simple cure for the drug problem. Everyone gets drug tested. You're on unemployment and you test positive, boom, no more unemployment. You're on welfare and you test positive, boom, you lose your welfare. Have a job? Test positive and you lose it. Fairly simple solution and no one goes to jail or gets shot. I'll bet it would be a helluva lot cheaper than putting everyone who uses in jail. If you can't beat a problem, then starve it.

4. rdubnpk

rdubnpk Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    In any totalitarian state that you might want to live in, that would be a good solution (you weeeelll be drug tested you schwvine!!! Der isss no option!!!) But that won't work in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

5. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

I think you have hit the nail on the head of why we, as a nation, are in the mess we are in. Oh no we can't have mandatory drug testing because that would infringe on the rights of some coke head in LA. Yet we don't cringe at all about mandatory testing to drive a car or a fuel truck or fly an airplane. When we go overboard to protect one person's "freedoms" we often take away freedoms from someone else. There are parts of my area I don't dare go into because of the drug traffic. Doesn't that infringe on my freedom?

Let me draw a correlation. You probably are in favor of gun control, or at least some level. Why then would you feel that mandatory drug testing would be a bad idea, but gun control is a good idea? Personally I think we need both mandatory drug testing and gun control. Both would make our streets a lot safer than they are now.

6. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At over 100 dollars a test, who's paying??

7. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    The DEA budget, which is a relatively small part of the war on drugs is $2.266 billion. Add to that the money spent on drug enforcement in other federal agencies as well as the state and local level and you would have more than enough to pay for testing. Also look at the various drug treatment programs that could be reduced and/or eliminated and that would pay for even more of the tests. It could be done....if we really wanted it done.

8. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    hmmm... maybe we should all sit down smoke a big dube and think about this.!!!

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    What's the rationale for this, twinini? You feel for anyone to use any mood altering/conscious altering drug is a bad thing for society?

Or, would you continue to allow those which may now lawfully be used? If so, why?

10. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    The logic is that is you can't stop the supply of drugs then you eliminate the demand. Fairly simple supply and demand. People don't want to focus on why drugs are harmful then you show them a severe consequence of their addiction. I don't ever see an end to the problem of illegal drugs unless a fairly severe step is taken.

As to legal prescription drugs, of course they should be allowed. A lot of people take various mood altering drugs for medical or mental health reasons and there is no reason those should not be allowed, but the flow of illegal drugs could be stopped easily if we were only willing to put ourselves out.

I used to smoke. It became increasingly difficult to find a place to smoke. I knew it was bad for me but I didn't want to stop. As my ability to find a place to smoke decreased so did my smoking and eventually I quit. Supply and demand at work in that instance. I lost my ability to find places to smoke, or my supply, so I had to end my demand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice