Want to move to Teach English in Cancun!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by GalinaB, Jan 7, 2007.

1. GalinaB

GalinaB Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Everyone,

I have visited this site in the past few days and was browsing around. A lot of very useful information for those (especially for those) in my position.

Seeing as how everyone knows each other on here...I would like to introdue myself. My name is Galina, I currently live in Toronto (Canada) and I am in my final months of university. (Yay!) I am a Sociology major and have taken several courses in English (don't know if that helps in finding a teaching position). I am an aspiring teacher. Something I have always wanted to do and I do not see myself doing anything else. After finishing university I wanted to experience something different. I have vacationed in Cancun 3 times in the past year. I am fully aware that vacationing at a 5* hotel is one thing and living there is something very different. I am a little apprehensive about my move, but at the same time extremely excited. I have never lived on my own, not to mention alone in a foreign country.

I would really appreciate some help in securing a position as a teacher. Now I know it is very difficult to do that before I make the move. But I plan on moving in August or September, so I figure I have some time to research. (That is my plan!) I do not speak any Spanish (but I do speak Russian....lol....not that it is any help in Cancun). I am young (on paper...22), but I feel a lot older (something I hear from most people I meet). Would my age be a factor when looking for a job teaching? What are the requirements? What can make me stand out?

I have so many questions, but I don't want to overwhelm this post. I will probably have a lot more as I receive some feedback.

Thank you for all of your help in advance!

Sincerely,

Galina

2. GalinaB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I appreciate all of your advice, but this is something I have set my mind on doing; for myself. I have a friend who moved there from Toronto and she's been there for 6 months now, and loving every minute.

I have made some friends there and know I will have a helping hand when I need one. I am not afraid to try something new. I didn't grow up with a lot of money in my family so I know what it's like to struggle. I have been working since I was about 12 or 13 years old. I know that if something doesn't work out, I can always come home. But this is something I have to do for myself.

Once again, I appreciate your opinion, but I am really looking for some encouragement and advice.

Thanks. Hope to hear from you soon.

3. Wabash

Wabash Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your best bet would be to contact the language institutes in town. Most of them will want to meet with you before they commit. The ones I know of are Harmon Hall, Berlitz, Interlingua and Quick Learning (new, and maybe looking).

Be prepared to work Monday thru Saturday and get up at 6AM, most days. You will probably get off work at 9PM, and have a few hours in the middle of the day to do your laundry and plan classes. It is not an easy life to get used to. If you plan to go out much, you will find that the money won't last long in the Hotel Zone. You will need to have some money in the bank before you move here, and you will likely burn through it quicker than you think. These are only a few things to think about. Not trying to dissuade you, but this is reality. There are a lot of upsides to living in Mexico, but you will have to be here a while before you start to notice them. Most go home after a short time, because they couldn't adapt.

Anyway, good luck on whatever you decide.

4. GalinaB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I expect to work long hours...they don't care me. As of right now, I have no life. I wake up at six and don't get home until 9 or 10. I work 4 days a week, go to school 5 days a week and I volunteer 2 days a week. I have 1 day to myself...and that is taken up studying anyway (I would much rather be working)! (lol....sorry that was my little rant...)

I don't plan to party much. I would like to go out here and there, but by no means every night. But teaching is something I enjoy doing. I'm a little apprehensive about the move, but then again who wouldn't be.

I plan to move in Aug or Sept. So I have a lot of time to plan and do all of my research. I am not rushing into anything.

Thank you for the list of schools. I appreciate that.

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wabash has got pretty much the complete list. There are sometimes opportunities to teach at hotels as well.

Teaching English is one of the few things you can do as a foreigner, but even still immigration can be difficult. I teach English for Harmon Hall and they have a limit on the number of foreigners they can hire. Right now the Cancun HH is at it's limit for foreigners but who knows where they will be in August or September. I have heard the same of Interlingua right now. I saw the sign for Quick Learning this weekend but I don't know much about them.

Long hours, not much pay, train for free, unpaid workshops, these are the drawbacks. A job where you don't have to sell anything or lie and the reward of having students tell you that you changed their life, these are the benefits. Do your research and know what you are getting into and you'll be fine. Heck, I did no research, moved here by accident and I've been fine, lol!

6. GalinaB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for stating some of the positives!!!
    I should look into the new school as well. The only things is that it's quite some time away. Which may make it a lot more difficult to secure a job.

Thank you very much. If you can, please keep me posted if you hear of any openings. I am very interested and willing to work very hard to get there!

Thank you!

7. Wabash

Wabash Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can find out a lot of information on teaching in Mexico, here:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewforum.php?f=26

Search words like "FM3", "apostile" and "certification" and you will find information on the things you will need to do in advance. Cancun is not the easiest area to break into as a new teacher, as it is very popular with foreigners. You might be better off getting your foot in the door somewhere else, with Cancun as your goal. It is much easier to get a change of employer FM3 than a brand new one, IMHO.

8. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Once again, Wabash is right on the money. Harmon Hall is a huge corporation in Mexico, more than one hundred schools. You might find it easier to start at another location that doesn't have as many foreigners and therefore has FM3 spots available. www.harmonhall.com

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice