Walmart and there 90% rule..

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ToriB, Dec 20, 2011.

1. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I was told tonight that Walmart Gran Plaza has officially started using the rule Walmart Centro has been in enacting when I tied paying with USD : ( That rule blows. I can not word it correctly, but wanted to get the news out there for everyone....especially TJ. We know his passion over this topic.

2. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Is it that you can not get more than 10% of the money you pay with in change?

Like if your bill is $71 you cannot give the clerk more than $78 to the clerk, in other words you can't try and pay with 4 20's?

Jamie

3. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why is this so hard. My bill in USD was $32 and I gave the cashier a $50 and that was not good.

This has been going on for some time, this location is just the newest addition to the pain in the ass problem

4. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    That sucks....

Jamie

5. bobby slack

bobby slack Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0
    ??

how bout you are in another country? not your own

6. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Excuse me!!!! This is an ongoing discussion for those that live here and some of us have USD that the store DO take.
    Was there a need for your nasty response?

And, my boyfriend, whom is Mexican, uses dollars as well. Best exchange rate!

7. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    Sometimes we wander in when we see a new topic show up on the facebook feed, but I understand your pain Tori. Sounds like a pain in the ass to my ears on the 10% thing.

I can't say I have noticed if there is tax added at the register but perhaps it could help to carry around a small calculator and figure out what you can use? If you are just over the limit get a bag of chips, extra paper towels etc to get back under?

But just sounds like another good reason for tourists, like myself, to use the peso while in Cancun so those who make money off of tips etc don't have to deal with hassles like this.

And Merry Christmas to everyone in Cancun by the way!

8. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The problem is not the math, it's that the Walmart that all the tourist go to started this many months ago. Last night I went to one that has not used this rule in the past and only went with $50 USD cause they were one of the good ones. Cashier Supervisor informed me they stated this about one month ago. I did this as I am out of pesos and Walmart's exchange rate is better then any banks.

I don't mind people coming in and contributing, whether you live her or not. But to post about something you know nothing about...like the angry post...I take issue with the person attack. It is a Living in forum, I live here, and I was giving my fellow residents a heads up...whom also use USD when out shopping.
    I go to the Temp and Spring Break forums daily. I like to give knowledge, where/when it is appropriate. And also bit my tongue when my response could cause heat.

9. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tori, I didnt read that response as a personal attack. You ask why is this so hard they gave you an answer. I don't think they meant it the way you took it. However, I agree that it does suck when you try to use dollars, but nothing we can do about it.

Thanks for letting everyone know that is the "new" policy at Gran Plaza now.

10. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The poster had an angry face and a bunch of ????? Then went on to say Since I am in another county I should be using pesos. Not Jamie's response. He is one of my closets friends. He'd never piss me off.. I <3 him

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice