Vonage & Cablemas Problems - Do you have?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Dec 21, 2010.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I and two other people I know, have Vonage, with access through Cablemas. All of a sudden none of us can make or receive calls on our Vonage and it has also extended over to Magic Jack.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THESE ISSUES? We have a ring leader, not me, and there is strength in numbers. OR, does anyone use Vonage and or MJ with Cablemas internet access and have NO PROBLEMS?

If the Vonage "device" is moved to a place with internet access through Telmex, there is no problem. The Magic Jacks work fine at Starbucks on the same computers they don't work on in our homes.

It has been suggested that perhaps Cablemas has put some sort of filter/trap or whatever it is called on their system to kill VOIP service, inasmuch as they sell (local) phone service. Of course this makes no sense.

Thanks - Suggestions welcome if this logic is flawed. I am waiting on my Geek Squad buddy to head over to Cablemenos with his ammo in hand.

2. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ,

I use Vonage via my Cablemas connection, and have no problems. I just dialed a call now and it went through just fine...

Good Luck!

3. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ,

I have Vonage and Cablemas and it's working fine.

Susan

4. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Kris and Susan,

I have another friend whose Vonage is fine. The 3 of us affected are in the same general area of Centro. Just very weird though as the 4th person, who has no problems, is not far from where we 3 "victims" triangulate.

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like you might be having latency issues TJ... Cablemas DOES block some ports but so far as I know the common magicjack and vontage ones aren't on the list... yet... it may seem like a stupid question but have you reset your modem yet by unplugging it for a few minutes? You can check latency at the speedtest.net site.... anythnig over 300ms and you'll have problems..

[​IMG]

the PING number is a measure of latency... mine was 174ms... I'm not sure where the magicjack and vontage servers are located but if you have high latency to the "recommended" test location you can be sure you'll have issues further away... and they probably reject connections to their servers if the ping it too high... you could also have a poorly configured gateway/switch that provides the internet to your area.. which again would be a cablemas problem...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Life but I (barely) had enough sense to reset the Cablemas router/modem as well as the Vonage device. MJ you just plug in.

I also ran the speedtest and my ping number was 94, DL 3.94 and UL .22, presumably all ok.

I printed your post and hope to fit Cablemas into today's schedule.

Thanks,

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just a repost of a possible solution by Scott from his forum. He seems to have narrowed down the problem to certain modem model's built-in firewalls.... perhaps Cablemas sent out a update to the modems that changed setting causing the loss of VIOP connectivity for some users...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010
  8. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Scott came to my house and copied down my settings for reconfiguring whatever and it worked fine for him. He told me that Cablemas told a mutual friend, after they no-showed for a scheduled appt, that a Vonage device was not their problem, even though they caused the problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice