Vehicle Circulation cards

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by 4NSPY, Apr 9, 2012.

1. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Those of us who have local registered cars have for the most part been wondering if its true about the loss of our dearly beloved Tenencia.......

It appears intact that there is no more Tenencia, however don't be left with an out of date circulation card.

Real easy to sort out.

Follow this link for direct info. (Hope you don't mind the link Steve - its a government site.)

Secretaria de Hacienda del Estado de Quintana Roo

Hope the link works.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    As I now understand the changes in the tenencia, it allows those who have debts for taxes through 2011 to get a break on the taxes for 2012, if they bring their payments current.

Those, like me, who bought new cars, this year, don't get the break on 2012 taxes: my guess is that it will be back to business as usual next year, and that this "amnesty" will only be good for one year.

If I'm right, it's way to early to celebrate the "death" of the tenencia.

3. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi V.

So they charged you the full Tenencia on your car? A car dealer told me that the Tenencia was only due on new cars on the portion over $350,000 pesos of value?

I know you'd have ran your details through that government site. What did it tell you? I ran a few cars through it and they all came up showing the Tenencia with 100 percent discount. Hope its not just for the election year:icon_eek:

Remember that before if you purchased a truck with a box, i.e. Pick-up, the Tenencia was always only 800ish pesos, irrespective of the vehicle value.

I love the confusion........ Just make sure you have your circulation are incase you get stopped for any reason.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am looking forward to see how all this sorts out for V, as you know he will have it analyzed and researched to the "n;th degree."

I am staying tuned. When I understand the deal, I am going to consider nationalizing my car. Two customs brokers told me that the cost for gov't and aduanal fees were $70 & 75% of the value of the car. Assuming that my 2002 SUV has a value of roughly $50,000, I am not thinking that $35,000 or $37,500 seem like a good investment if I ever want to sell the car. Keeping a foreign car here with a "Permiso de Importacion Temporal" does not seem like such a bad idea now.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    What's a "circulation card"? (I'm not sure what I should have, at this point.) When I try to access data on my car, on the Hacienda website, it simply says, "no record exists" (I checked again, today).

Hacienda issued me a "stick on" plate number, in addition to the front and back plates: they also gave me a sticker which shows I paid the tenencia for 2012.

There is also a sticker on the front windshield of the car, put there by the dealership, which is mainly in colors of silver, blue and black. It may be the inspection certificate, but I have no idea....

This whole thing of the tenencia is going to require more investigation, as T.J. suggested.

Hacienda clearly thought I should have to pay it: whether they were right will be a little more difficult to ascertain....

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: I think the little card you keep in the car(glove-compartment etc.) is the circulation card.

We just renewed ours and it NEVER leaves the car itself.

Not sure exactly what it is per say, but transito apparently cant stress the importance of it enough...

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    OK, Rawkus, I know what you mean. I decided to carry this in my wallet, in case the car is ever stolen.

8. CancunNurse

CancunNurse Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    tarjeta

You can leave a copy of your tarjeta de circulaciĆ³n in your glove compartment as well. It is only a formality that they check it. If they have any question about it, they make you produce the original which, when I tell then it's in my house, they accept the copy. Also, there is a book you get in Transito that, by law, you must have in every vehicle. They can ask for it and give you a fine if you don't have it. It more or less explains the Mexican interpretation of the rules of the road. That goes in the glove compartment as well.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's good to know, thanks, C.N.!

10. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are "rules to the road" here? I would love to see that book. Some drivers do not even know that a red light means "stop" or even that you should use your "blinkers" to let people know that you are going to make a turn.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice