Using Mexican cel phone in the US

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Sep 15, 2011.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A friend is looking to go back to the states for a few months and asked me to pose the question here. If she buys a smartphone (Galaxy 2) here with a Telcel plan, will she be able to use it in the states while up there? Would she need a contract/jail break? Is it possible to use prepaid cards? (She needs internet, not just calls and texts).

I'm clueless about things "up der", can anyone help my friend out?

2. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used my phone in the US with Telcel a few years ago (back when I had a plan). It worked, but I came home to more than $4000 pesos worth of fees even though I only made a few short calls.

Now I only use it for the occasional emergency text message while in the States.

She'd have to ask in Telcel about the internet and how much they'd charge for roaming.

You can buy a prepaid phone card at many convenience stores in the US. Some charge a lot, but I've found a few that only charge 10 cents a minute... unfortunately, there's no way to know which one's which jaja

Maybe she could buy an unlocked phone on eBay or something, then get a pay as you go plan in the US... then switch over to a Mexican SIM when she comes back. Not sure if that's possible, but if she really needs a smartphone while there, that's the best I can come up with unless Telcel is willing to cooperate.

3. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It might be wiser to unlock the phone here in the US and sign up with a company that does month to month contracts rather than try to use her Mexican plan. The most popular one here is Metro PCS (aka Metro Piece of $hit-due to the number of dropped calls). Though the service has its issues, it might be cheaper in the long run. Plans usually start at $50 USD per month (not sure how much plans that include data cost) and for a few more dollars, they can make unlimited calls and texts to Mexico.

4. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Telcel and AT&T are connected somehow. I'm on the Amigo system and as soon as I cross the border, my Mex. phone says AT&T on the screen. That said, you can make a call in the US, simply by dialing the area code and number. But that call will cost you over 40 pesos per minute, so as mentioned, "emergency" is the way to go here.

I come to the States about twice a year for about a month each time. I have cheap AT&T phone that I activate, every time I come. Works for me and the only downside for my friends is that I get a new phone number, every time because they only hold your existing one for 90 days.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    gbchayctca has the right advice.

To use Telcel in the US the cost is deadly. As Windknot says, you will be roaming on ATT, Sprint, TMobile or other networks.

Unlocking the Galaxy is the way to go and then get a cheap, short term service or even prepaid (like Amigo for example in Mex) and you are good to go using it in the states. You will get a US SIM card, aka "Chip" for the US service provider.

One thing I am not positive of though, is the need to unlock the Telcel phone as all of the phones I have used in the past in Mexico originated in the states and needed to be unlocked. TMobile provides this service for free on phones obtained through them. I assume the other carriers in the US do this as well. You could check the Telcel Galaxy phone from here by putting another chip in it, from either a domestic or a foreign provider and if it works then the phone probably will not require unlocking. I just don't know for sure if Carlos has implemented the locking up the phones deal.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Windknot - There is zero connection between Telcel and ATT. It is just that the Telcel phone gloms onto the ATT network. It could just as easily be any of the other US providers serving that particular area of the country.

Much like any American bringing their cell phone to Mexico. They might be roaming on Telcel, USACell or any other local provider. The phone typically grabs the strongest signal. The typical roaming charge for US phones used in Mexico is $1.49-$1.75 per minute, plus a tad over 18% tax. Some US providers have International Roaming deals and the costs are fairly reasonable on a short term basis. TMobile used to have one that was $5.99 per month, plus $.05 a minute.

7. Vic

Vic Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Howdy

Here is another option.
    Providing that she will be traveling often between the US and Mexico go with cricket.com
    Cheap phone is around $50 USD and has all the bells and whistles required.
    They have a no contract deal that runs $30 USD per month with unlimited US local and US LD, unlimited text.

After the month just either call them or go on line and have the service canceled. Your number remains yours yet inactive. You can activate it again later on when you are back in the US of A. Calls to Mexico from that service provider is under $0.50 minute.

For internet within the phone I just do not know.
    First had info.

Vic
    --

8. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Texting and WiFi is no problem. No charge for WLAN wifi and texting is "almost free."
    Going in 10 days to ATT country, but once I hit Verizon, no access except WiFi.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice