Useful Sites for ex-pats

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CharlesinCancun, May 6, 2010.

1. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I thought these sites might help some people that have friends/family in Mexico.

www.xoom.com you can send money to Mexico and deposit in bank accounts , seems to be much easier than Western Union and cheaper fees. you can use your credit card , they send you emails while its processing and after the deposit is made.

http://www.babblebug.com/products/top-ups/telcel_en.cfm you can "top up" your Telcel Amigo with a credit card. very convienent. they provide services for pretty much all cell phone carriers

www.tracfone.com cheap prepaid cell available in the U.S. , plus you get 3 free international # s. you can choose between Mexico and Canada. unfortunately Cancun isn't available. but "tu familia" in Mexico can call these Mexican phone #s and it will ring to your U.S. cell at no extra charge. they can call from a Mexico landline or cell to one of those free #s. http://www.tracfoneild.com/?AID=ILDHPB

but if you want to call from the U.S. to a Mexico cell , I dont think that is allowed , only to landlines , as far as I can tell. one other drawback is that you cant send international text but you can receive them. the 3 free international #s is pretty cool though.

http://www.barrigirosamexico.com/ this company provides "Giros" or money transfer services and you can top up your Telcel Amigo with cash . Texas based company, so far.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So that I can make cheap calls to Mexico when I am in the US and so that my daughter can call me from the US, when she is too impatient to wait to call me when I get to my Vonage, I have used www.comfi.com for many years. They were formerly www.masterbell.com. They have many different calling card products. Normallly I use one card for USA to Mex land lines and another for USA to Mex cells. It is not unusual for me to change from one card to another. Presently I am using the Everest for calling both to Land and Cell. It is 2.5 cents per minute to land lines and 12.2 cents per minute to cells. You can get cheaper rates but these have no weekly fees and some round to the nearest 3 minutes. I am el cheapo and check this out based on my needs and this works for me. You can also transfer credits between cards for $.50.

I am happy to provide more details by PM or Email.

They also have 10% promotional discounts all the time.

3. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ - you could write a book about surviving in Cancun!!!!

Reasons I visit cancuncare:

RG - 40%
    TJ - 30%
    V - 30%

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Charles,

Each of the 3 characters, in which you have included me, more than likely would tell you they don't want to be comingled with the other two. Ja Ja.

I just try to answer about things as I have experienced or seen or heard about. Goof up occasionally nonetheless but I guess the old batting average is pretty good.

Thanks again for the nice compliment. I did hear tonight at dinner that my dining companions refer to me as Cheap T.J. How appropriate that the post on this thread involved me saving $ on calls from the states to Mexico.
    T.J.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Awww shucks! Thanks for making me smile.

6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Not only are your tastes good, Charles, your math is good, too!

V.

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. BostonT

BostonT Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Question... What is the easiest way to get money from my bank account in Cancun to my bank account in the US? I have bills I have to pay there and I can not always use my Mexican debit card.
    Thanks!
    If you are looking to watch free US shows try Yidio.com

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can you explain how to do this in Cancun without a proxy server?

10. BostonT

BostonT Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For Yidio you do not need a proxy server. (Seeings I use it daily in Cancun and have no clue what a proxy server is.)
    All you need to do is go to the website choose a show you want to watch then choose a link that does not have an American or Canadian flag next to it. The megavideo ones usually work best.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice