US Passport Renewal

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Sep 12, 2009.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm wondering if any US citizens residing in Mexico could share their advice on passport renewal.

My passport is expiring in 6 months or so. I'm trying to figure out if I should simply make the run to Merida to renew it there or plan to renew it using the in-person rush service in the US when I'm up there on a trip.

If you've renewed in Merida how long did it take? Is it really done in one day? Did you make an appt ahead of time or just show up and renew your passport?

I've heard that many passports issued in Merida don't scan properly in the passport scanners, so this slows down airport doings which I don't want to do. Has anyone had this issue with a passport renewed in Merida? Do the passports issued in Merida have the new (controversial) ID chips in them?

Thanks for the help.

2. cancunwhoopie

cancunwhoopie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG, We have renewned US passport twice in Mexico. First time took the trip to Merida. At that time it was painless and done in a matter of hours ! I was impressed, knowing how long it would have taken in USA. This was approx. 10 years ago and could not be scanned at airport. But, no problem the agents just hand entered the number.

Second time we renewed in Cancun, also painless but took a few days (no problem we were not in a hurry). USA consulate on the second of Plaza Caracol. Took our pictures at a photo shop across from Market 28 (forgot the name). These newer passports CAN BE scanned in USA and no problems.

Hope, I can finally help you ! You have been a wealth of info, with questions concerning "gringos" in Mexico.

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had my passport replaced at the Consular Office in Plaza Caracol. It was fast, efficient and my passport has been scanned over and over again with no problem. Unless I'm missing a point, why would you have to go to Merida?

Warden Message
    Change in Service Hours at the U.S. Consular Agency in Cancun

Effective immediately, the U.S. Consular Agency in Cancun will accept the following services by appointment only:

* First-time passport applications
    * Passport renewals for minors under 16
    * Consular reports of birth abroad
    * Notarial services

Appointments for these services will be available from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays until further notice. Please call 998-883-0272 to schedule your appointment.

The following services will be available on a walk-in basis from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

* Adult passport renewals
    * Emergency passport applications

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I renewed mine here in Cancun about a year and a half ago. Took 2 or three weeks and it was on time. The only thing is you have to turn in the one that is expiring so you may have a problem with that. I applied, turned in my passport, went on vacation to the UK for three weeks and when I came back it was here.

5. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    passport

I renewed my passport earlier this year. I went to the Consular Office in Plaza Caracol and filled out a form, gave them my old passport and some b/w passport pics...and the fee, of course. It was back in about 2 weeks. No need for a trip to Merida. I haven't used it yet so can't tell you anything about scanning at the airport.

6. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The name of the shop is SexyPhoto (I kid you not) :D . Park in the Marcado 28 lot and walk across the tope. They seem to be one of the few photo shops that have a grip on the correct sizes, background colors, etc for all the various Mexican and US requirements.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks everyone!!

I'm not sure why I didn't realize I could do it all here. I thought I was going to have to pay for the same-day in-person renewal here, and thought I could only do that in Merida. Shows what I know.

I will sort out my upcoming travel plans and take my trips and should have plenty of time to do the renewal before my expiration date.

Do you guys recall how you paid for your passports? Last time I needed Consular services I had to pay in Dollars which makes sense but was sort of dumb at the same time.

I know just where the Sexy Photo is...they have a memorable name.

Thanks again pals, you've all put my worried mind at ease.

8. cancunwhoopie

cancunwhoopie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG said :"I know just where the Sexy Photo is...they have a memorable name."

So memorable that I completely forgot the name ! But Sexy Photo it is ! But have to say my photo was NOT sexy !!!! They do not preform miracles :( But they do the job.

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just had some stuff notarized and they accepted pesos (at 30 USD per page, banditos!) but as I remember passports were paid in dollars.

BTW, the passports are issued in Washington and are marked as issued by the Dept. of State in DC, so maybe that's why there are no scanning issues. Perhaps the Merida passorts are created locally (Pepe's Passport Printing S.A. de C.V. :D )

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cancunwhoopie - I don't think the US govt wants sexy photos on passports anyway.

Mel - Glad to hear that the passports are issued in DC, was wondering about that very issue. Thanks for all your help, as always.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice