URGENT : Help us save a life

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SenoritaPamela, Nov 30, 2010.

1. SenoritaPamela

SenoritaPamela Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Greetings everyone,

My name is Pamela A. Stadius, I work at Hotel Cozumel and Resort. I have been asked to post on this forum as I have been told that it is frequented by many expats that live in Cancun.
    An employee at the hotel needs the help of 7 kind strangers...

His wife requires a blood transfusion in Cancun (they live in Cozumel), they are of humble means, and were able to get government help - however there is a catch. For the 3 pints of blood she requires, she has to get 10 blood donors to come in and donate some blood. Red Cross, or any hospital can take the blood, but it is needed URGENTLY.

The contact in Cancun is the employee's sister - Ireya Aguirre. Her number is 01.99.89.14.8958.

We had attempted to get the help of another "big" hotel in Cancun, but they have yet to contact Ireya and so I am left with a plea to strangers to help us round up 7 donors.

If I could, I would fly over today with my husband and donate, but I have work commitments that do not allow me to leave even for one day...

I am reachable by email, pamelainmexico@hotmail.com.
    I am not asking for money, just the generosity of a 7 kind souls.

I would love to hear from anyone who is available to donate tomorrow. The blood bank takes people from 10am-3pm. Ireya needs to be present, so that she gets a "stamp" for each person that donates for the patient's form. Donating alone will not help, as she has to have a doctor certify that you are there for this patient. (I hope that made sense).

You can call me at 987.112.5212 before 8pm tonight for more details and then in the morning after 7am.
    I really hope this forum can help us.

Thank you all kindly from the bottom of my heart,

Pamela A. Stadius

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,232 / 14
    Bumping for a good cause. It does annoy me that hospitals here often put lives in jeopardy for the sake of a few pints of blood.

Unfortunately my blood is of no use due to medication.

3. SenoritaPamela

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd like to thank all those who have emailed me. Your kind words and willing to help means more than you could imagine.
    Quick update : We still need another 4 people, it's very very hard to find people who are willing to wait half a day to give blood.
    There are pre-requisites like : no alcohol for 2 days prior, no medication for a week, can't be anemic, diabetic, have medical conditions (such as cancer, bi-polar, had any operations in the last two years...the list is endless) so finding candidates is much harder than I thought.
    I will be going over on Monday if we are unable to complete the form today.
    Please give me a call if you think you may be a possible candidate and we can all meet Monday morning at the IMSS hospital bright-eyed and bushy tailed ;)

Best,
    Pamela Stadius

4. angels_among_us

angels_among_us Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bump as a mom of a son that had to have transfusions every few days as a baby I am hoping and praying your able to reach your goal. I know how Urgent this is. Think about posting on tripadvisor as well.Also here
    Playa del Carmen, Mexico forum

Actully I am going to post this thread there in hope someone can help. Hope that is ok

5. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    I wish I could be there to help. I hope that you reach your goal and soon!

6. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pamela, private message me and I'll give you a few people's names who you can call, two in Cancun, and two in Puerto Morelos.

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been in touch with Pamela and all seems well. She got enough blood donated to get the patient's card stamped by the hospital with approval by the doctor in charge. Like in the case of my friend needing blood donations 2 1/2 years ago, the "system" apparently has some discretion if you try hard enough, yet fall a bit short of the required.

I hope Pamlea will forgive me if I am giving too much info but she is going to be working on establishing a blood bank of sorts on Cozumel. I am sure we all wish her luck in this effort.

8. SenoritaPamela

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank You T.J - Still working with the local Blood Bank here to see where our donation will be put to best use.
    If anyone has any suggestions, or knows of any local charities that work with the blood bank, I would love to hear from you.

Again, thanks to all your replies and concerns, the patient who needed the blood got her donors, but unfortunately, she is still in the system and still has yet to operated on...

As it has been stated above, we can only do what we can.

Pamela
    Salsa And Salsa - Lela

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice