Unique Airports

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Jun 5, 2013.

1. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    I know a lot of you fly fairly regularly and I was just wondering if you have a particularly unique airport that you remember. My favorite is the airport in Moscow, Idaho/Pullman, Washington. Moscow is the home of the University of Idaho and Pullman is the home of Washington State University. There are very few flights out each day, but what really caught my eye was an honors bookstore. There was no attendant, just shelves of books with prices on them and a cash box to put your money in. Can you imagine something like that in JFK or Philly or Boston? That would last, oh I'd say, about five minutes.

How about you? Any off the wall airports that you've encountered?

2. dikfore

dikfore I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +447 / 0
    Green Bay Wisconsin... flew in there years ago... Went to check in... THere was a sign "Back in 5 minutes"... Guy comes back, checks my ID, gives me my boarding pass...

Go through security... Same guy from the airline desk is doing the security ID check... Looks at my ID again.

Get to the gate, see a sign "Back in 5 minutes. Assisting plane". I see the guy come back in from guiding the plane in (Puddle jumper), and its the SAME GUY again! I go to board... He checks my ID AGAIN... I'm like "Don't you remember me by now?"

3. GoGoBlanco

GoGoBlanco Banned

Ratings:
    +255 / 2
    Taba airport Egypt - scary Egyptian woman SELLING strips of toilet paper outside the ladies (thank heavens for WetWipes!)
    :daisy:

4. Jess_2703

Jess_2703 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0
    I do each years 4 different airport.
    Chicago, St-Paul ( minneapolis ), Ottawa and Cancun :p

I saw the most Smallest airport.

In Grande prairie Alberta.. You just turn on yourself and you finish visiting :p

from the check in you see all the airport about 500 ft :p

5. Bart/Annette

Bart/Annette Life begins at 40!!! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +270 / 0
    Khona is very unique. Almost everything is outside including the waiting areas. The bar/restaurant closes at 9 pm, with lots of flights leaving at midnight. Go figure that.

6. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Another unique one that we came across is the one on North Caicos Island. The "terminal" is one wood building with no bathrooms and facilities at all. There is a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling. We had a flight out of there once on a small twin engine plane where we took off at the same time as another plane. In other words we were just a few feet apart while taking off. Scary stuff!

7. Elabela

Elabela Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A few odd memories for me.

Having never travelled to Europe, and not really remember much of the travelling days of my childhood I remember being in the airport in Frankfurt, Germany and being the McDonalds and there being all these people smoking.

In Ethiopia, I remember landing and taking off next to the prettiest cemetery, all the graves were above ground, and highly decorated as far as I could tell from the plane.

And the funny one that I will always remember, was flying into Accra, Ghana and to my understanding there was some sort of convention happening at relatively the same time, so they were trying to organize visitors/arrivals to make it more efficient. There were two lines, one for "Jewish Peoples" and one that said "OTHERS".

8. MFSD

MFSD Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Mactan in Cebu, Phillipines.

Going through customs there they herd you through literally like cattle and oh, by the way, you have to pay a fee when you leave... and they only accept cash... in local currency... I was lucky I still had some on my way back from a 2 week work trip.

But they do have free wifi!

Edit: I might be thinking about Manila... it was several years ago and I've blocked it from my memory...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice