Tulum journalist shot to death

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Dec 26, 2009.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Saw this today. What a shame. How much circumstantial evidence is needed to convince you of corruption? How much could possibly go on in the tiny town of Tulum to remotely justify this type of act?

Journalist Killed in Mexico | Americas | English

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Color me cynical but I think there's little chance of the cops investigating this. The reason reporters keep getting killed here is because THEY are the ones doing the investigating, not the police.

3. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Amen.

Maybe what we need are some good old fashioned vigilantes.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh but the mafia pays so much better...

5. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apparently Alberto Velazquez became the 12th journalist/reporter to loose his life in Mexico this year.

This puts Mexico up high on yet another less flattering list of murders linked to corruption...

:(

6. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let's get all the facts before we begin conspiracy theories. Seems that the murder may have had to more with adultery than his being a journalist.

7. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts." Joe Friday

Seems not a particularly savory character this "reporter"--just to be "fair and balanced." Maybe it is one way or the other but let's not jump to conclusions either way. As I alway say, the truth is like a coin--it may be on one side or the other but most usually is on a small, thin line in between the two.

The link Abre CNDH expediente por asesinato de reportero en Tulum - Riviera Maya
    Has mention that the Human Rights Commission is opening a file on the case and this additional note published in Novedades:

"Tenía negro pasado, publica periódico
    TULUM, MX.- Albero Velázquez López, el pasante de abogado que fue asesinado en Tulum, Quintana Roo, cuando se encontraba con una mujer identificada como Silvia Rubí Och Tuz, el pasado martes por la noche, era esquemador y diseñador de un medio impreso denominado Expresiones de Tulum.
    De acuerdo con información de periodistas locales, Velázquez López llegó a ese municipio procedente de Cancún, hace un par de años, para trabajar en El Diario de Tulum, un periódico que fue fundado por un funcionario público, el ex regidor Gilberto Gómez Mora.

En ese medio se desempeñó como reportero, aunque Velázquez López se decía editor en jefe. Cuando cerró esa publicación, se fue a trabajar por unos días al archivo del nuevo edificio de la Procuraduría General de Justicia del Estado. Ahí aprovechó para fotocopiar o fotografiar expedientes y usar la información para fines personales cuando decidió colaborar para la publicación de cuatro páginas, Expresiones de Tulum.

A Velázquez López le fue prohibida la entrada a las sesiones de Cabildo, porque fotografió por debajo de la mesa a la regidora perredista Euterpe Gutiérrez Valais, quien estaba vestida de minifalda. (Fuente: SIPSE/Novedades de Quintana Roo)"

8. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim,
    My Spanish is not great but did I miss "adultry" in the article you quote? I read that he was sitting in a car with a woman.

The article in English that I posted the link for, says that he was driving late at night.

I wonder if he was driving ro sitting.

Yes, there are many sides to the truth. For example, what the New York Times prints vs what really happened.

Cheers

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim, if we don't jump to conclusions the only conclusions drawn will be the ones making the victim look bad. I'm only sort of kidding.

Smearing the victim after the fact, to make them look like they deserved it, is pretty common here...and seems to be what happens instead of proper investigations.

10. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "Here" is a word that is used a lot. Like saying that these things happen "here" inferring that they don't happen in other places. I do it myself forgetting that "there" is a distant memory for me and "here" is where I am every day. Besides having selective memory, I forget what things are/were like and only think of the "good old days" and the good old "there." Kind of a different version of the grass being always greener--somehow it can always be a little browner "here" sometimes.

Blaming the victim is not anything unique to "here" nor is getting shot. Sometimes the occupation of the victim is relevant and sometimes it is not--as is the fact that he/she is "here" or "there."

The article I inserted did not mention the adultery--but, among other things, the fact that he was barred from the "City Council" sessions because he took a picture under the table of one of the ladies who was wearing a mini skirt at the time. The adultery was mentioned in another of the many articles written about the case since it happened almost a week ago. Since I don't think any AP writers have been "here" since the incident, I can only assume the articles we read in English are translations of local articles. Reading the language native to the country you live in does have its benefits--as I am sure many people point out to immigrants in the States.

Not trying to start a flame war here--just trying to keep things "fair and balanced."

Here is an article that also mentions that people should stop trying to "muddy" the reputation of the victim: Piden esclarecer asesinato de periodista | El Periódico de Quintana Roo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice